News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ae model 183 dial returning slow

Started by court84, July 18, 2013, 05:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

court84

Just bought  an AE 183 off ebay and found the dial is returning slowly. Can i repair this?
How do I remove the dial?  Thanks

stub

court84,
             Remove the 3 screws in the back of the dial cup (dial cup is plastic) some dials will fall out and some dials will need gentle persuasion, draw a diagram of where the wires connect and remove them. Clean and lub dial and when you put the dial back into the dial cup, don't over tighten the 3 screws or cover will crack.  Hope this helps.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

WesternElectricBen

If the dial is returning slowly after lubercating you should adjust the speed by pulling together the governor springs repeatedly until it speeds up.

G-Man

I would be advise caution when attempting to adjust dial speed, especially when the instrument is used on VoIP service since some ATA's are particularly sensitive to out-of-tolerance dials.

Generally a good cleaning and lube will remedy the problem.

If you are unsure of your capabilities, Steve Hilsz is a highly regarded expert that provides dial repair and adjustment services for an extremely low price.

court84

G-Man

I know that stub was good enough to address this but here are the dial removal instructions.

Excerpt of GSP from the TCI Library:

GTE PRACTICES                                              SECTION 473-301-200
ENGINEERING-PLANT SERIES                        ISSUE 2, APRIL 1981

TYPE 183 TELEPHONE SET
                           INSTALLATION AND FIELD MAINTENANCE

Rotary Dial Replacement

4.05 To replace the rotary dial assembly, proceed
as follows:
(a)  Remove the three dial-mounting screws located
      at the rear of the dial cup assembly (Figure
     6).
(b)  Lift the dial assembly and mounting bracket
      from the dial cup.
(c)  Remove the red, white, blue, and yellow
      wires from the dial terminals.
(d )     Remove      the      three      dial-mounting      bracket
     screws (4-36 x 1/4) and remove the mounting
     bracket (Figure 2).
(e)  Replace the dial and connect the wires to the
      dial terminals (Figure 8, 9, or 10).
(f)  Install the dial-mounting bracket and the
        three   dial-mounting   bracket   securing   screws.
(g )  Insert the dial and mounting bracket into the
        dial housing . Position the last finger hole
     (the one nearest the finger stop) so that it is
      exactly at the bottom of the dial housing.
(h) Insert the three dial mounting screws through
        the rear of the dial housing and tighten to
     the dial housing.
(i)  To connect the dial assembly leads to the
      telephone terminals,  refer to Figure 8, 9, or

Melanie W.

Quote from: stub on July 18, 2013, 05:45:24 PM
court84,
             Remove the 3 screws in the back of the dial cup (dial cup is plastic) some dials will fall out and some dials will need gentle persuasion, draw a diagram of where the wires connect and remove them. Clean and lub dial and when you put the dial back into the dial cup, don't over tighten the 3 screws or cover will crack.  Hope this helps.  stub

I also need to remove the dial on my 183 however upon removing the screws the dial will not come out of the plastic cup, with gentle or enthusiastic persuasion.  This phone has a lot of crud in every nook and cranny.  Until now I thought it would just need a good cleaning.  Any suggestions for loosening the dial from the cup?  I'm afraid there may be some rust; I hope its not a lost cause. 

stub

Melanie W.,
                  Good to see you back!!!!!! I would try a hair dryer to gentle warm it up,but not too hot it will melt!! If that doesn't work you will have to disassemble the dial from the front so you will have a place to wiggle and pull from .            stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Kenton K

Or stick it in an oven at 150 for 5 minutes.

Melanie W.

Got it, thanks guys  :D

I have read several comments about this model being difficult to put back together, I hope I'm not doing my self in!