"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Would like some Information on a 1D2 I purchased on amazon

Started by chilloutsessions, May 31, 2015, 07:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chilloutsessions

Hi there Everyone,

Very happy to join this forum to discuss about phones.
I have recently purchased this phone off a guy on amazon. I was told by the seller that it is a 1D2 and tried to obtain more information from the seller however I was unsuccessful and the seller went quiet.

I has been converted for home use by the seller, and I am interested to understand how it was converted as the coins deposit into the vault box.

Payphone came with T-Key and also a set of original lock keys.

Im unware what has been replaced and is not original. At present i am having problems with my handset, it seems to be crackly when i speak into the phone and hear myself speak. I guess it could be the wiring and any help on the reason would be appreciated.

Thank you all for your time.

I am currently seeking a Phone enclosure/booth.

DavePEI

I suspect that the coil relay is tied to make all go to the coin box. No conversion is needed on these at all to use them as coin phones. Now. removing the tie wire won't restore it to pay operation - you need a proper payphone controller to do that. You can also set it to send all coins to the return by filpping the diverter and re-tying the relay.

I suspect your problem with the handset are dirty fingers on the contacts which mate with your transmitter. A common problem on these, but not simple to solve as the handsets are sealed. You need a correct wrench to break the weld. If you don't have the correct rubber jawed wrench, best to change the handset. If you can get the transmitter cap off without breaking it, clean the contacts and bend them out a bit to help maintain contact.

ATI Handset Cap remover:

Dave.
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

G-Man

The "modification" is clearly shown in your photo; a red wire tied to the coin-relay, keeping it in the COLLECT position.