News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Coin box lube?

Started by Greg G., October 08, 2016, 02:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I just sold my WE TT payphone and was going over it to make sure everything is still in working order and to re-familiarize myself with it so I can explain the nuances of the phone to the buyer.  That coin box is kinda tight, the wire handle actually hurts to pull on it.  Is there any particular lube that is recommended?  My first thought was WD40, but that stuff has a strong odor that smells like burnt engine oil.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Ktownphoneco

I have both a Western and a Northern 200 series 3 slot payphone, and encountered the same issue with both.   I'm assuming that because they don't have the coin boxes removed an inserted on a regular basis anymore, that the friction factor between the copper flat spring attached to the vault floor, and the underside of the coin box increases over time.
When I had both units apart, I was able to take some tension out of the copper flat spring.       In addition, I sanded the copper spring with wet / dry sand paper up to 2500 grit, then used a buffing attachment on a Dremel tool to polish the copper spring plate.       I also flipped the coin box over, used some rubbing compound ( Scratch-X )on the paint, and gave it a coat of Turtle car wax.
Now they slide in and out without any problems.

Jeff Lamb

Greg G.

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on October 08, 2016, 03:05:48 PM
I have both a Western and a Northern 200 series 3 slot payphone, and encountered the same issue with both.   I'm assuming that because they don't have the coin boxes removed an inserted on a regular basis anymore, that the friction factor between the copper flat spring attached to the vault floor, and the underside of the coin box increases over time.
When I had both units apart, I was able to take some tension out of the copper flat spring.       In addition, I sanded the copper spring with wet / dry sand paper up to 2500 grit, then used a buffing attachment on a Dremel tool to polish the copper spring plate.       I also flipped the coin box over, used some rubbing compound ( Scratch-X )on the paint, and gave it a coat of Turtle car wax.
Now they slide in and out without any problems.

Jeff Lamb

Thanks, I think I'll just print this out and let the buyer deal with it. 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Jim Stettler

Maybe weight down the coin box.

Just a thought,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.