News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Telephone OCD.....

Started by twocvbloke, May 09, 2012, 02:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Okay, I have to admit this, I seem to be suffering telephone OCD, every time I see even the slightest tangle on the handset of a phone I can get to, I have to straighten it out, and I did it with the phonebox round the corner yesterday......  :D

It was pretty twisted though, the handset was barely holding onto the hookswitch, so needed untangling.... 8)

Anyway, the phone box pictured is a KX300, not sure of the phone (it's a modernised 600-type model which does text messaging, apparently), used to have a door it seems, but that is long gone, and the last time it snowed, there was snow drifting right up past the coin box, it's amazing how these phones survive in adverse weather!!! :D

Phonesrfun

Straightening the cords on a public phone does seem to be a bit above and beyond the call of duty, but I think we all have our little "things" we get obsessive about.   ;D

Public phones are getting to be scarcer and scarcer here in the states.  I live in a town of 40,000 and I know of probably 2 phoneboxes (we call them phone booths) here in town.

One, by the way is a 1940's style wooden booth still in service with a modern pay phone inside that is in the lobby of the post office.

I have asked if I can buy it, but nobody seems to know who to put me in contact with!
-Bill G

twocvbloke

Yeah, phone boxes are getting rare round these parts of the world too, mainly due to home and mobile phones, aswell as thinks like Skype and Vonage, and all those other VoIP services available, especially rural phones like the one pictured there... :-\

Yeah, it is a bit above & beyond, but, like I say, I think I'm getting a tad OCD with such things... :D

Plus, it's a public phone, if it were to get damaged through having a twisted cable that broke, and you couldn't make an emergency call, it could be the difference between life & death, at least that's my excuse... ;D

poplar1

>One, by the way is a 1940's style wooden booth still in service with a modern pay phone >inside that is in the lobby of the post office.

>I have asked if I can buy it, but nobody seems to know who to put me in contact with!
>[/quote]

In this area, the wooden booths were all owned by BellSouth. They did sell individual booths to employees in the 1980s. They eventually got out of the pay phone business and sold all 140,000 pay phones to a scrap dealer in Birmingham, Alabama. He said he didn't get any booths.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.