News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

French U43 in Ivory

Started by LarryInMichigan, October 23, 2013, 12:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Western Bell

How would a wiki site, a knowledge base created by or through a collaborative effort of forum members, be any different than information already on the forum?

Since you have noticed only a small percentage of all "facts" posted on the forum are correct, if actually found, but then confused by other posts of conflicting "facts" making it difficult at best to figure out which is or are the one and only "true fact or facts," how would a wiki site built by those who created the factual uncertainty "unencumbered with tangential and possibly incorrect chat" be any better, be an improvement to the forum?

Seems one would experience the same dreaded results with a wiki site that you attributed to the forum.

What am I missing that would make a wiki site an improvement?

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Western Bell on October 26, 2019, 01:11:31 AM
What am I missing that would make a wiki site an improvement?

A reference side does not include the many often conflicting conversations that led to a consensus.

Reference: provide (a book or article) with citations of sources of information.

It is concise and to the point.

Jack

countryman

Here's another example of a magneto Laurent with the later handset. It popped up on the german eBay. Someone bolted a ringer onto it (?) and used a lamp cord with a funny plug.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/352826597742

Jack Ryan

As I understand it, the Laurent was released in 1941 and only 50000 were made. It was replaced by the U43 only two years later (it was found that the Laurent had issues both physically/mechanically and electrically.)

The "later handset" is the U43 handset - it was not available when the Laurent was being manufactured.

If that understanding is correct, the Laurent cannot have been made with the later handset. If it has one, it must have been changed later.

Regards
Jack

countryman

So the question is, is it just a coincidence that so many Laurents now have a U43 handset (and never a S63, Telic, CIT), or was a number of them refurbished for a certain purpose at some point of time?

Jack Ryan

Quote from: countryman on October 27, 2019, 12:53:08 PM
So the question is, is it just a coincidence that so many Laurents now have a U43 handset (and never a S63, Telic, CIT), or was a number of them refurbished for a certain purpose at some point of time?

A handset would have to fit the cradle of the Laurent and be heavy enough to operate the hook switch reliably - I doubt a plastic handset would fit the bill.

If the Laurent were manufactured for private use after the release of the U43, it might have gained a new handset. After all, the 1924 handset is a klunky one. However, given the shortcomings of the design (which were not related to the handset), I would think it died a swift death.

If the U43 handset is a proper fit on the Laurent, telephones in the service of the PTT may well have been refurbished and gained a U43 handset in the process.

Of course, some were probably changed by collectors and dealers.

Regards
Jack