"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Museum Phone Booth Installation

Started by ESalter, July 02, 2013, 12:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ESalter

Hi Everyone-

I have some exciting news I want to share.  I may have mentioned some of this to a handful of you previously.  Our museum is right downtown, one building away from a corner.  There used to be a phone booth by the sidewalk on that corner.  I remember it still being there when i was maybe 5 or 6 years old, but it was taken out soon after that.  The concrete mounting pad still remains.  I have always thought it'd be neat to put a booth back in that spot and have the museum(me) take care of it.

I mentioned this to one of the city officials at our open house in May.  I just found out this past weekend she brought it up at the last city council meeting and they voted unanimously in favor of it.  So, this means I get to try to find a booth now.  I need one of the red Airlight type booths, which are fairly common.  There are a lot of local phone companies in this area that still have them standing.  I am going to go around and try to get one of those companies to donate one.   The biggest task is going to be laying a new concrete mounting pad and getting utilities to the booth.  I am keeping my fingers crossed we will be able to get both phone and electric buried to it, but I'm not sure if that's going to be possible.  We will see.

I just think it's really neat to think a working telephone booth is actually going to be installed this late in the game.

I'll be sure to post updates here as they happen.

---Eric

WesternElectricBen

That will be very cool! Though, like most all payphones today aftere a while turn ratty. Maybe the city could also maintain it too.

Good luck!

Ben

ESalter

I won't let it turn ratty.  Our museum is literally just 20 feet away from where it would be, so I would be there to take care of it nearly every day.  I'll make sure it stays good and working.  I have to say, I'm pretty excited about running my own payphone!   

I just hope it doesn't get full of wasps in the summer!

---Eric

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: ESalter on July 02, 2013, 01:14:10 PM
I won't let it turn ratty.  Our museum is literally just 20 feet away from where it would be, so I would be there to take care of it nearly every day.  I'll make sure it stays good and working.  I have to say, I'm pretty excited about running my own payphone!   

I just hope it doesn't get full of wasps in the summer!

---Eric

Oh, I thought it was like an art mueasum, I didn't know it was a phone... I'm sure you will take good care.

Good Luck

Ben