News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Lamp Phone Atrocity -> AE 1A

Started by Pourme, December 06, 2016, 09:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

My eBay Lamp Phone Atrocity. This phone isn't a WE....can anyone positively ID it?

<edit> This new topic split out of the Lamp Phone Atrocities topic to allow further discussion in its own topic.

Split from here:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1000.msg177598#msg177598

Terry

<end of edit>
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

19and41

Looks like an AE, don't know the model.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Pourme

I was thinking AE also....but not sure
Benny

AE_Collector

Yes an AE 1A set. I assume it is black Bakelite painted gold. The cradle looks to be the pot metal version painted gold. There were brass versions of the base but I think this one is just painted Bakelite.

Terry

Pourme

Thanks Terry, I was hoping you would respond.
I bought this, I will be stripping the paint and re wiring it.  I would never ruin a phone like this but I look forward to adopting this phone and giving it a prominent spot in my home. 
Benny

Pourme

One more quick question Terry, and I will step aside and not try to hijack this thread. Is the base correct or should it be covered similar to a B1 or D1 WE?
Thanks
Benny

unbeldi

Quote from: Pourme on December 06, 2016, 10:48:44 PM
Thanks Terry, I was hoping you would respond.
I bought this, I will be stripping the paint and re wiring it.  I would never ruin a phone like this but I look forward to adopting this phone and giving it a prominent spot in my home.

Now you are ruining a lamp.  I don't know what's worse.
If it weren't a lamp, it would have graced the landscape of a garbage dump, or been obliterated in shape in a smelter.
But it does have the potential to make a display item.

Pourme

Quote from: unbeldi on December 07, 2016, 10:31:45 AM
Now you are ruining a lamp.  I don't know what's worse.
If it weren't a lamp, it would have graced the landscape of a garbage dump, or been obliterated in shape in a smelter.
But it does have the potential to make a display item.

How am I ruining a lamp?...I intend to make this lamp Great Again!
Benny

unbeldi

Quote from: Pourme on December 07, 2016, 12:20:56 PM
How am I ruining a lamp?...I intend to make this lamp Great Again!

But we don't want it to be THAT great.

Pourme

When I say I'm going to strip it, I assume that gold paint was added when it became a lamp. I would rather this lamp maintain it's original black Bakelite finish if possible. Is that wrong? 
Benny

AE_Collector

Unbeldi's pulling your chain cord.

It just needs a rubber ring (gasket). Gary Goff has reproductions available for something like $11-$12 including postage I believe. In the picture (first one below from the auction) you can see that the metal base isn't aligned properly because it doesn't have the gasket which helps position it properly.

I thought the feet on it were the stick on triangle shaped feet but on second look they are 302 feet? I wonder if the base has holes drilled for screws? In any event, I would lose them and get an AE gasket.

The shade is same shape as the one on my FrankenLamp (2nd picture below) also seen one page back at reply 601.

I would keep it as a lamp and stripping the paint and polishing the black Bakelite up would be perfect IMHO.

Terry

19and41

Restoring that phone to it's intended purpose would be a great thread.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Pourme

Ha...consider my chain cord pulled.

Terry,
The base, I know didn't look right, I just didn't know what was correct. I will inspect it when it arrives. I will create a separate thread to gather advice on how to proceed. The gasket answers some questions, as well.

19and41, That kind of restoration would be interesting as well. Don't know if I have the talent to do that, perhaps a future project. 
Benny

TelePlay

Quote from: 19and41 on December 07, 2016, 01:30:12 PM
Restoring that phone to it's intended purpose would be a great thread.

Yes, it would. And it most likely would rival the time, pitfalls, setbacks, time, expense and problems logged in the lamp phone I took back to its original use.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16425.msg170061#msg170061

And that would be a caution, not an anticipation.

Pourme

John, When 19and41 made his suggestion, the 1st thing I thought of was was your bringing back of that candlestick. A very difficult project you pulled of and returned to service!
Benny