News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

USPS Shenanigans

Started by Sargeguy, May 14, 2013, 06:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

Looks like Cliff is doing yesterday's work today.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

FABphones

Quote from: HarrySmith on July 06, 2018, 11:08:32 AM
Yeah, I am curious about packages I sent out last week. I sent 6 packages to Germany. Three of them went to New Jersey after a brief stop at Opa-Locka and have already cleared customs in Germany. The other 3 went to Texas and have not left the US yet. Why all 6 did not follow the same route is a mystery to me. All going to the same address, all postage printed the same day, all delivered to the USPS at the same time. Why did they go in different directions?

Could it be wait weight related  ;D  ?
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

I guess that could be a possiblity. Only 2 of them were over 10 pounds. The other 4 were all around 6-7 pounds.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

Another case of weird shipping?? An item I purchsed shipped from Texas and apparently made 3 trips to Opa-Locka before finally coming to me. Very strange.

Tracking History     

September 7, 2018, 11:33 am   
Delivered, Parcel Locker
CORAL SPRINGS, FL 33071 
Your item was delivered to a parcel locker at 11:33 am on September 7, 2018 in CORAL SPRINGS, FL 33071.

September 7, 2018, 8:55 am   
Arrived at Post Office
CORAL SPRINGS, FL 33071 

September 7, 2018, 7:29 am   
Departed USPS Regional Facility
OPA LOCKA FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

September 7, 2018, 7:12 am   
Arrived at USPS Facility
CORAL SPRINGS, FL 33071 

September 7, 2018, 5:42 am   
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

September 7, 2018, 4:29 am   
MIAMI FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

September 7, 2018, 2:51 am   

September 7, 2018, 2:50 am   

September 7, 2018, 2:30 am   
MIAMI FL INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

September 6, 2018, 11:21 pm   
Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility

September 6, 2018   
In Transit to Next Facility

September 5, 2018, 6:55 pm   
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
COPPELL TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

September 5, 2018, 5:40 pm   
Accepted at USPS Origin Facility
ADDISON, TX 75001 

September 5, 2018, 2:45 pm   
Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
ADDISON, TX 75001 
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Partyline4

Reminds me of a problem I had years ago with a remote controlled airplane. It made a journey like your item, back and forth.... it turned out to be the company in Hong Kong putting the incorrect address on the shipping labels... This resulted in a mountain of packages being left in Washington, and I had to pay 40 $ to get it back.... Plane was a piece of junk..... bad experience. Even an incorrect zip code would cause the problem..... that's the usps for you!

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: HarrySmith on September 07, 2018, 02:52:17 PM
Another case of weird shipping?? An item I purchsed shipped from Texas and apparently made 3 trips to Opa-Locka before finally coming to me. Very strange.

Tracking History     

September 7, 2018, 11:33 am   
Delivered, Parcel Locker
CORAL SPRINGS, FL 33071 
Your item was delivered to a parcel locker at 11:33 am on September 7, 2018 in CORAL SPRINGS, FL 33071.

September 7, 2018, 8:55 am   
Arrived at Post Office
CORAL SPRINGS, FL 33071 

September 7, 2018, 7:29 am   

September 7, 2018, 7:12 am   
Arrived at USPS Facility
CORAL SPRINGS, FL 33071 

September 7, 2018, 5:42 am   

September 7, 2018, 4:29 am   

September 7, 2018, 2:51 am   

September 7, 2018, 2:50 am   

September 7, 2018, 2:30 am   

September 6, 2018, 11:21 pm   
Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility

September 6, 2018   
In Transit to Next Facility

September 5, 2018, 6:55 pm   
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
COPPELL TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

September 5, 2018, 5:40 pm   
Accepted at USPS Origin Facility
ADDISON, TX 75001 

September 5, 2018, 2:45 pm   
Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
ADDISON, TX 75001 

I seriously doubt that the package could have arrived in Coral Springs at 7:12 and then departed Opa Locka 17 minutes later, so I would guess that there is a problem with the tracking system and the package did not keep returning to Opa Locka for more of whatever is so appealing there.

Larry

TelePlay

Regular Member Post

Avoided Opa Locka by buying 2 different items from 2 different companies both in the Atlanta area and both are being shipped by FedEx with quick delivery dates, until I check the tracking today and see this as the definition to an exception:

"FedEx: Delivery exception means there are special circumstances with a delivery that may prevent a package from being delivered. You can access FedEx® Tracking to track the status of your package and view the delivery exception in the Travel History section."

Yeah, Opa Locka is nothing like FedEx. Here's their reason for the noted delivery exception, and I can even see my 2 packages on the road (red arrows)

jsowers

Who needs Opa Locka when you have Hot Lanta? I have something coming FedEx too and I checked the tracking and it's coming from California. Whew! That box your down-pointing arrow is pointing to looked just like the box my shipment would come in--long and thin.

Not shipping related, but order related--I just had Amazon come back to me after three days and tell me my item was no longer available (a different item from above) and they wouldn't be shipping it and instead will be issuing a refund to my account. It was there Sunday and gone Wednesday. Some really lousy inventory control is what I suspect. It's not worth complaining about. I'm surprised they do as well as they do.
Jonathan

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Quote from: jsowers on November 28, 2018, 03:08:25 PM
Not shipping related, but order related--I just had Amazon come back to me after three days and tell me my item was no longer available (a different item from above) and they wouldn't be shipping it and instead will be issuing a refund to my account. It was there Sunday and gone Wednesday. Some really lousy inventory control is what I suspect. It's not worth complaining about. I'm surprised they do as well as they do.

Regular Member Post

I saw a story about some companies using BOTS to place orders for hard to get items in order to corner the market, buy every one available, from multiple sources in a tenth of a second and then resell them at a higher price. They said that in the time it takes a person to put one item in a cart and then go through the checkout and payment steps, the BOT can clean out the entire stock. Don't know if that happened to you but it seems a lot of people ordering online on black Friday ran into that problem and the stores don't know what they can do it can be done about it. Maybe Amazon took your order slowly while a BOT was buying everything and by the time they went to ship, they had nothing for you.

HarrySmith

Another USPS horror story. I sell on eBay and have shipped all over the world. Not just phones but fragile crystal, porcelain figurines, Lladro porcelain, Murano glass, etc and have never had a broken item. I pack everything really well. In my eBay feedback I have had even had comments about how well the item was packed. I recently sold a vintage auto emblem, old metal logo, the kind with metal tabs that go through the fender and get attached from inside. These are famously fragile so I took special care. I poked holes in a piece of cardboard, stuck the tabs through, put foam over each tab, then sandwiched it between 2 more pieces of cardboard and finally wrapped the whole thing up in bubble wrap. The buyer received it snapped in half! He still gave me perfect feedback and even noted it was well packed. Some body must have lierally bent the package in half to break it like that. At least the tabs were intact! The buyer said he was sending it out to get refinished anyway and the refinisher said they could repair it. Lesson learned again, NEVER too much packing!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

jsowers

Quote from: TelePlay on November 28, 2018, 04:39:24 PM

Regular Member Post

I saw a story about some companies using BOTS to place orders for hard to get items in order to corner the market, buy every one available, from multiple sources in a tenth of a second and then resell them at a higher price. They said that in the time it takes a person to put one item in a cart and then go through the checkout and payment steps, the BOT can clean out the entire stock. Don't know if that happened to you but it seems a lot of people ordering online on black Friday ran into that problem and the stores don't know what they can do it can be done about it. Maybe Amazon took your order slowly while a BOT was buying everything and by the time they went to ship, they had nothing for you.

I don't want to hijack the thread and turn it into an Amazon bash, but I've had many items sold out from under me while I was shopping on Amazon, especially in the warehouse where they admit they only have one of the item. I purposely bought this item right when I found it--it was just a box of Lance cheese crackers--and it let me check out and pay and the item was mine until three days later. I've gotten to the checkout only to find this and that no longer available and thought about that happening in a real store--they would never walk up and take something out of my cart right in front of me. People would pitch a fit if that happened in public, but online you have really no recourse.

To bring us back on topic, I was in my local PO last week sending a box to someone with a birthday present inside and I have to admit that the people in my local PO are the nicest and most helpful I have ever seen. A tiny little unincorporated town called Welcome, NC. A woman in line after me said "this is the nicest post office in the county" and I agreed with her, having been in most of them over the years since my job took me all over the county. If they ever close that PO it will be a crying shame.
Jonathan

TelePlay

Regular Member Post

This one is probably on the seller, wrong label or mixed up tracking numbers but it still involved Opa Locka and it's just weird. Bought a small item on 11/28 from a seller in California and it was delivered today, but not to my mailbox.

==================
    Nov 28, 2018 12:42pm PST Tracking number provided

Nov 28, 2018 16:05pm Shipment Received, Package Acceptance Pending WHITMORE, CA 96096

Nov 28, 2018 16:56pm Accepted at USPS Origin Facility SHINGLETOWN, CA 96088

Nov 28, 2018 18:11pm Arrived at USPS Origin Facility REDDING, CA 96002

Nov 28, 2018 19:07pm Departed USPS Facility REDDING, CA 96002

Nov 29, 2018 00:00am In Transit to Next Facility

Nov 30, 2018 02:33am Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility OPA LOCKA FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

Nov 30, 2018 08:35am Arrived at Post Office FORT LAUDERDALE, FL 33345

Nov 30, 2018 10:34am Sorting Complete FORT LAUDERDALE, FL 33323

Nov 30, 2018 10:44am Out for Delivery FORT LAUDERDALE, FL 33323

Nov 30, 2018 13:38pm Delivered, In/At Mailbox FORT LAUDERDALE, FL 33323
==================

My shipping address on PayPal and eBay is in Wisconsin so how did a package with a label generated by my purchase with my correct address get a tracking number that ended up having it delivered to Fort Lauderdale, Florida?

There an identical street addresses to mine in Fort Lauderdale. There are several of them but they are East, West and South "Courts" and one with "Boulevard" but no "Drive"and none my specific address.

Looking at Google Maps, it's a street name in a Housing Project so I doubt I'll ever get that shipment back. Just boggles my mind as to how a correct address in eBay and PayPal could end up 900 miles away.

Seller has not return my message to them an hour ago. I suspect they will reship Saturday or Monday.

Just seems anytime Opa Locka is in the equation, it's not going to end up well?

Maybe whatever the buyer in Florida expected will show up on my door step tomorrow, hope it's a 60" LCD TV . . .  ::)

jsowers

John, could it be the tracking numbers were simply switched and not the items? You may get your item tomorrow or Monday from the original shipment with the wrong tracking number on it. I know you have your heart set on the TV, but let's face it. Nobody is that lucky. Let the seller know your tracking says Ft. Lauderdale and maybe he can figure out his mistake?

I wish the tracking included the delivery address in it online, but it doesn't. Not even on the USPS site. I checked several of mine and it just includes the city, state and zip.

Good luck!
Jonathan

AT2796

I have an experience on the wrong side of this topic.
I was the seller, the buyer paid promptly, and the seller shipped promptly...for the agreed cost, but the seller missed the zip code by 1 digit.
The package went from CA to TX about 19 times, the buyer and seller both had conf. and tracking #'s and contacted USPS several times but to no avail.
Finally I refunded the buyer, next day he contacted me to say he received the package!
He refused shipment and it was returned to me but both parties were disappointed today the least.
Yep, my fault but why couldn't they have returned the shipments after I identified my mistake that we (USPS and I)discovered 2 weeks in. They said it was too late since it was already barcoded and in transit.
Now to my brothers to the north... what about this rolling postal strike? I've been waiting 2 weeks for some cloth covered cords from oldphoneworks. Unfortunately I deleted the tracking email so I don't know where they are hung up.
Andy