News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mint-in-box beauties!

Started by finlover, December 27, 2009, 02:11:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finlover

I'm finally getting around to posting a few not-so-great photos of my pink '59 and aqua '58 500s that were mint in their original boxes.  To tell the truth, boxes don't excite me that much, but a phone that has never been put into service is invaluable as a reference.

The aqua one was a buy-it-now on ebay for 79 bucks.  It had a little mildew in places but it cleaned up nicely.  The fingerwheel was in a separate little envelope with installation instructions.  Thanks to Dennis Markham for the number card!  Strangely, the handset caps and number plate are a little lighter blue than the rest of the phone.  I've seen this before with early aqua phones, maybe different dye lots varied slightly.

The pink one is an early '59 so it's soft plastic with the six hole receiver cap.  It came from a collector who has me restore all of his phones.  He already had a mint '58, so he let me trade out some labor for the '59.  I've been on the hunt for the perfect pink 500 ever since I started collecting about three years ago and I think I've finally found it!

These photos were taken on a sunny morning, so the phones may appear a little yellower than they really are.  I hope you enjoy them anyway!

finlover

more shots

finlover

more aqua

finlover

last one

Greg G.

Quote from: finlover on December 27, 2009, 02:11:32 AM

The pink one is an early '59 so it's soft plastic with the six hole receiver cap.  It came from a collector who has me restore all of his phones.  

Do you offer those services to collectors in general, or just him?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AET

those are fantastic finds!!! They make me think Easter.
- Tom

finlover

Quote from: Brinybay on December 27, 2009, 04:47:40 AM

Sure, I'm happy to restore a phone for anyone!  The price ranges from $80 to $110 plus $11 priority shipping. That may sound high, but I do my very best to make a phone as perfect as possible, which can be pretty labor intensive.

finlover

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on December 27, 2009, 05:44:41 AM
those are fantastic finds!!! They make me think Easter.
Whoa, AET--I just got a mental picture of you in a bunny suit with a basket full of pastel colored phones.  I gotta cut down on the coffee!!

ntophones

Gorgeous phones! I don't know which I like best. Congrats, and thanks for the pics.
--nto

finlover

Quote from: ntophones on December 27, 2009, 10:49:42 AM
Gorgeous phones! I don't know which I like best. Congrats, and thanks for the pics.
Thanks, ntophones!  They are two of my favorites.  It was an aqua 500 from Dennis that got me into collecting.

ntophones

I can certainly see why!!!!!! Phones are so neat! ;D
--nto

Dennis Markham

Greg, those are a couple of beautiful telephones!  The don't get any better than that.  Thanks for sharing them. (I don't remember sending you that dial card.  Maybe it was on a phone?)

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Tonyrotary

Very great looking telephones! And those prices you quote do not seem all that unreasonable to me considering the quality of work you do.

Greg G.

Quote from: finlover on December 27, 2009, 09:36:19 AM
Quote from: Brinybay on December 27, 2009, 04:47:40 AM

Sure, I'm happy to restore a phone for anyone!  The price ranges from $80 to $110 plus $11 priority shipping. That may sound high, but I do my very best to make a phone as perfect as possible, which can be pretty labor intensive.

No need to explain, I've seen your phones and what they've sold for.  I've also tried to work on a few of my own and know that it involves a lot of tedious, detailed work.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e