Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

Quotethey make great fries

You mean French Fries?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

K1WI

Pommes frites  (French fries) in French ....... are at times called Belgian fries  !
Andy F    K1WI

twocvbloke

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 09, 2014, 08:24:23 PM
Quotethey make great fries

You mean French Fries?

No, Belgian fries, cos they're belgian, French fries are an american creation... :P

Sargeguy

I thought "Freedom Fries" were the American version
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

K1WI

Andy F    K1WI

twocvbloke

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 09, 2014, 08:37:50 PM
I thought "Freedom Fries" were the American version

Nah, that was just something that cropped up when France said no to invading Afghanistan after 9/11, but that's just political stuff, very childish politics, but, there you go...  :P

Matilo Telephones

I thought it was older than that, from when there was a lot of anti French sentiment when they were doing atomic tests in the pacific.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

twocvbloke

Nah, it probably fuelled the fire, but the "patriotism" really kicked in when the government at the time decided to go to war and got their buddy countries (including the UK) into a war that is still going on, even though they downplay it these days, and France said no because they knew that it's pointless trying to fight an enemy who is constantly in hiding, so the US decided to rename their most popular foodstuff from French fries to Freedom fries, though these days they pretty much have gone back to calling them french fries cos they realised it was a stupid move... ;D

Matilo Telephones

Yes, I read up on this subject just this morning.

To my surprise I learned that frankfurters were renamed hotdogs in the US during WW1.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

Contempra

À ce que je vois, il y en a plusieurs ici qui parlent en français !... C'est bon à savoir...:D  okay I continue in English my friends :D Learning another language is so difficult but... it"s a plus in a life you know ?.. ;)

twocvbloke

Quote from: Contempra on January 10, 2014, 09:10:13 AM
À ce que je vois, il y en a plusieurs ici qui parlent en français !... C'est bon à savoir...:D

I tend to use a translator to read other languages, but couldn't speak in another language if I tried... ;D

twocvbloke

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on January 10, 2014, 09:02:05 AMTo my surprise I learned that frankfurters were renamed hotdogs in the US during WW1.

And yet, they refer to them as franks or frankfurters to this day, and happily indulge on the various "wurst" sausages that many ex-pat german people took over there... :P

Contempra

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 10, 2014, 09:35:21 AM
Quote from: Contempra on January 10, 2014, 09:10:13 AM
À ce que je vois, il y en a plusieurs ici qui parlent en français !... C'est bon à savoir...:D

I tend to use a translator to read other languages, but couldn't speak in another language if I tried... ;D

I speak a little bit the english but not for a long conversation. However I can handle (( se débrouiller )) easily if I am in a city where a part of the country who speaks only English. My wife does or doesn't speak a word of English aside from 'Yes and no'

twocvbloke

My french is pretty limited, I can just about say Je suis anglais and je ne parlé tres bien francais, but the basics like Bonjour, Salut, Aurevuoir, oui, non and voilà aren't too bad, everything else I learned at school though has faded away... ???

Contempra

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 10, 2014, 11:03:50 AM
My french is pretty limited, I can just about say Je suis anglais and je ne parlé tres bien francais, but the basics like Bonjour, Salut, Aurevuoir, oui, non and voilà aren't too bad, everything else I learned at school though has faded away... ???

What I learned in english, I learned it by myself. singing, either by reading dictionaries my diction in English isn't too bad either.. But I understand you because of the language barrier is not always easy... I put seriously to the English is a little more than a year in time lost... but I too think that I write and how to write and how to place the verbs, subject, adjectives... Wow for a 50-year-old man, it is not clear as regards me.