News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Snappy base cover

Started by BDM, February 24, 2009, 12:33:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDM

Check out this snappy candlestick base cover. Plus, look carefully at the mouth piece. Notice you can see daylight? That means two things. It's missing the transmitter, and there's a hole in the transmitter back. Not good either way.

This would make a good basket case phone restoration, then modernization. I did that to a complete basket case 50/51AL stick myself.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Western-Electric-Candlestick-Telephone-AT-T_W0QQitemZ120382376088QQihZ002QQcategoryZ38037QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
( dead link 07-29-21 )
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dennis Markham

Brian that light inside the mouthpiece looks like light reflection from the flash or overhead lighting....at least that what it looks like to me.  What do you suppose this will go for?  With five days left it's already up to $76.  If it's something good the collector will grab it.  The first thing I'd do is search for a replacement bottom, even though the seller finds it "fascinating".

BDM

Well, as you know, you could simply replace the bottom felt. I emailed the seller about the light that can be seen through the transmitter cup. I'll post his response. This may go well over $100 because of the #2 dial. If that had anything but a #2, it's anyones guess.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dennis Markham

So that is light coming through and not just a reflection?

BDM

Quote from: Dennis Markham on February 24, 2009, 08:28:29 AM
So that is light coming through and not just a reflection?

At this point, I don't believe so. Notice how it reflects the speech hole perfectly. But, I could be wrong. We'll see what the seller says. I may be eating crow on that one??
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

My btake. If you follow the trajectory of thje hole, it will line up with where the wires come into the bottom of ther transmitter housing. My guess the transmitter diaphram is missing and the wires are also gone.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

BDM

Quote from: Dan/Panther on February 24, 2009, 06:58:10 PM
My btake. If you follow the trajectory of thje hole, it will line up with where the wires come into the bottom of ther transmitter housing. My guess the transmitter diaphram is missing and the wires are also gone.
D/P

That's exactly it. She emailed me back stated so.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dennis Markham

That was a good catch Brian!  Nothing beats having some experience when looking for these old phones.  Good job.

BDM

Quote from: Dennis Markham on February 24, 2009, 10:26:35 PM
That was a good catch Brian!  Nothing beats having some experience when looking for these old phones.  Good job.

Thanks Dennis. I'll help with the hard metal phones, you take care of the 500s. Bingster can handle all of them......lol
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

bingster

Nah, I'm no expert on anything older than a 202.  I have precisely one such phone.  And I can't touch Dennis' knowledge of the 500.  I'll take the 202/subset group, though. ;)
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Thanks for the compliment but there isn't that much to know, once you learn it.  I would like to learn as much about the 102's and 202's.  So I know who to go to for assistance.

BDM

Well Bing, you know what to look for, or how should I say? The do & don'ts when buying. As you know, just like radios, that 90% of the battle :-X
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI