News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help me Identify my new telephone please

Started by Dan, April 17, 2009, 04:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

This is my first "dialess" phone. It has bells inside that ring. A schematic fell out that said KS & S Co. Chicago. Is it rare? How old ? Value? Thanks!

http://tinyurl.com/cvawdb

http://tinyurl.com/dnklxw

http://tinyurl.com/d2t2vw
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

BDM

That's a Kellogg 925 "Ashtray" phone. There are two versions, manual which you have, and a dial version. The KS&S stands for Kellogg Switchboard & Supply

Rare? Nah, dial version is more desirable but neither are rare.

How old? early 30s through the late 40s. The "Redbar 1000" replaced it.

Value? Depends...Ebay is the best place to check that.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan

Thanks, it set me back only $25, with no shipping. I hate to use the overused "art-deco" adjective, but it looks like it to me.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

BDM

Quote from: Dan on April 17, 2009, 04:44:04 PM
Thanks, it set me back only $25, with no shipping. I hate to use the overused "art-deco" adjective, but it looks like it to me.

If it's not cracked, it's worth that at the very least!
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan

Picture two shows a tiny flake off the left foot.

I was real lucky, it was an antique shop "retirement" sale. It was originally $50, reduced 50%

bingster

This particular Kellogg brings very nice prices on ebay.  Usually three times what you paid for yours.  I've been looking at them for a while, but I'm to stingy to pay what they usually go for.

Incidentally, that's one phone you could very safely call art deco. 
= DARRIN =

Dan

Thanks, the lady could only tell me it was a "pyramid?" phone, but I knew it was all bakelite.

Dennis Markham

Are you SURE this is an "ashtray phone".  I'm not seeing the resemblance.  Look at the cradle area and compare it to this one........

http://www.telephonearchive.com/phones/kg/kg925.html

I'm just asking, I'm not sure.

It looks like a Masterphone 900 - Pyramid Phone.

http://www.telephonearchive.com/phones/kg/kg900.html

BDM

Ahh, give Dennis a CigaR! Yup, you're right. The Ashtray 925 was strictly a dial set. I saw a pic of one with a dial blank, but still a dial type set.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan

Thanks for the clarification. I wonder how they could get bakelite to shine like on Dennis' pics? I read somewhere you could rub them up with simichrome but maybe you restorers could chime in here.

Steve K

They also made a non-dial ashtray that had a more narrow base without the extension for the dial.  There is a picture of it on this link; http://www.telephonecollectors.org/library/kellogg/kellogg.htm

I thought that is was the 700 series however.

Dennis Markham

Dan, I don't really have any secrets when it comes to trying to make Bakelite shine.  I just use a lot of elbow grease and Novus2.  I have tried Simichrome polish and the new formula Brasso but haven't really found that they do anything special in removing old dirt/grim and adding a shine.  But I have read where others have success with those products.

The Bakelite handsets seem to be the most difficult thing to make shine again, probably because of all the years of exposure to skin oils and dirt.  The handset ear caps often are pitted and in worse condition than the mouth piece caps.  Many have attributed that to cosmetics that women wear--perhaps.  My most successful handsets are a result of working on handsets that were in great shape to begin with.  That posting I did recently of the Galion phone had a beautiful Bakelite handset that was like new with very minimal effort.

After I soak the handsets in a warm sudsy water I scrub it with a sponge and rinse.  That really only gets the top layer of dirt off.  Then I hit the work bench with my bottle of Novus and a good terry-cloth type cloth or athletic sock.  I hand rub the handset first getting off the next layer of gunk.  The cloth will almost always turn an ugly shade of brown.  Then I hit it with a hand-held Black & Decker buffer that I have that turns a little bit slower than the Ryobi.  Since the pad surface is large it's difficult to get into the crevices but I'll do the best I can.  I buff off the polish and go at it again with the faster spinning Ryobi.  The longer the turning pad touches the surface the warmer the part will become.  That is when the dirt really comes off.  Again, I'll buff it clean of polish and examine the part.  When you think it's done, do it again.  I will then hand rub the handset again and again, causing enough friction with the polish as lubricant until the part becomes warm.  You will see even more yellow/brown on the rag meaning you're still getting more years of grime off.  I guess there is a fine line of knowing when to stop to avoid removing the thin layer that is the outer surface of the handset and/or Bakelite body.  I don't know that I've ever penetrated that but some of the handsets that seem to remain dull may have lost that surface before I got my hands on it. 

When the surface of the rag only has a gray, dusty look to it then you've probably done all you can to make it shine.  As a last resort if I'm still not getting a perfect gloss shine I'll hit the bench mounted buffing wheel.  I don't know how fast mine spins but it's pretty fast.  I use a cloth pad on that that will burn plastic in a heart-beat.  It's safe for Bakelite but when using it on plastic a part can be ruined so be careful using a fast turning wheel.

It is not unusual for me to spend a couple of hours on a handset.  Another thing I'll do as a last resort to get it to shine is hit it with 2000 grit sandpaper...very lightly under running water.  If there is pitting on the ear cap I may drop down to 1,000 grit and lightly sand it to try and remove the bumps.  The paper doesn't leave scratch marks like on plastic so then using polish and elbow grease will often make the part shine again.  I have also used black paste shoe polish in an attempt to get a shine.  The black shoe polish IS a polish and once applied, I let it dry for five or ten minutes and buff it off.  It will often put a shine on the part.  Over time it will dull up again, but usually wiping the part with a damp cloth and then buffing it will bring back the shine.

Working on a Bakelite handset makes one appreciate how easy a regular old G3 is to polish!

Dan

NYFED

Dan and Dennis:

First, Dan-
                You have, what I believe to be, the single most beautiful phone ever made! I love the lines and the dimensions.  Kellogg also manufactured this phone so you could pick it up while talking by sliding your fingers thru the holes in the center.  I am in the process of restoring my first one and I intend to use this phone in my bedroom.  When you restore it, notice, after you polish the gongs (assuming you do) that there is a longer resonance after each gong strike.  This was a well thought out design that is not only functional but (again in my humble opinion) the most beautiful.  I am in the polishing stage (inside and out) and will TRY to post some pix throughout my restoration.  I have used shoe polish thus far but may switch to GLAYZIT.  Let me know how your restoration goes! GOOD LUCK!

Dennis-
           Thanks for your advice regarding the clean up/restoration of this phone.  I have this 900 'pyramid' , a 700 Masterphone and several Redbars (Model 1000) including the wall version (Model 1100), with the 925 'ashtray' being my only missing unit to complete my Kellogg collection.  None of this includes the A.E., W.E. or Stromberg collections I have started.  The bug not only bit me, it devoured my soul! LOL! Thanks for all of your help!

NYFed 

Dan

Thanks for the kind words about my kellogg