News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Let it Snow...Let it Snow....Let it Snow ( and other weather events )

Started by Doug Rose, February 09, 2013, 08:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

Thunderstorms last night, rain today.  We are riding the edge of the freeze line and it is 20 to 30 miles north of us. 
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Buzby

Our prediction for snow is 1-3", although that hasn't stopped the bread and milk aisles being decimated. The weather folks here keep mentioning that if the storm tracks 25-50 miles north, then it's snowmageddon.

I'm prepared though. Beer fridge is stocked, I've made dough for pizza, generator is fueled up and ready to go and the snow blower is on the tractor.

compubit

Just got home from work and the grocery store - so far about 2-3 cm here in the DC area (South Arlington). Have chili fixings for tonight and a ham in the fridge. Several programs downloaded to the pad for viewing if the power goes out.  I'm good if snowed in for a couple of days (plus a basement full of phones to play with...).

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

TelePlay

This is the snow cover map from this morning. Will be interesting to see how the dark blue and purple deep snow band moves toward and maybe over DC.

Radar, second image below, show the snow just entering the DC area, could snow for 20 days and 20 nights, or so it seems based on what the national bobble head weather reporters have been saying for over a day now  . . .

TelePlay

One day later, seems the low pressure cell has stalled right over DC, no movement at all except for the counter clockwise spinning in place bringing more moisture in from the ocean to turn to snow over the greater DC area.

They updated the snow cover map this morning showing the deep snow area extended over the greater DC area.

compubit

Close to (if not over) 2 feet here in Arlington, VA.  Out the back door...

I'm not going anywhere today (except for a snow party at my neighbor's home this evening).

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

JorgeAmely

It is 50 degrees F here in the Republik. Trimming rose bushes during the morning.
Jorge

WEBellSystemChristian

Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

HarrySmith

Today is bright sunshine and 65 degrees! This is the reason people live in South Florida! Tonight it is supposed to be down close to 40! With the wind chill it might be at freezing!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Sargeguy

Looks like we'll get about 6-8 inches here in Providence.  The stuff looks fairly light so it shouldn't take too long to shovel out and make my way to Dunkin' Donuts for my morning iced coffee.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Buzby

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 23, 2016, 10:16:19 PM
Looks like we'll get about 6-8 inches here in Providence.  The stuff looks fairly light so it shouldn't take too long to shovel out and make my way to Dunkin' Donuts for my morning iced coffee.

I'd say I have about 8" of the white stuff out here in Foster/Glocester at the moment.

Hopefully it's done it's stuff and I can blast off the drive in the morning.

19and41

It's supposed to warm up to 60 by next weekend.  I wish it would stay nice enough to finish my antenna.
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

It's 58 degrees today, and we are waiting on the next band of rainstorms to pass over this evening.  Maybe I can rinse off the remnants of the brine on my truck from the ice control the end of last week.  Salt corrosion has been a rare commodity around here.  It's easy to spot a northern vehicle by the missing areas in their car and truck bodies.  Or as they pass through to Florida looking like saltines.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Buzby

Currently under 10" of snow so far.

To think that on Thursday, the weather folks were saying we'd perhaps get a dusting. There's multiple power outages here, so I'm listening to the thrum of the generator for the time being.

I've also attempted to do my good deed for the day. Looking out of the kitchen window, I could see one of the local feral cats struggling across the garden. I dug a path down to it, and it gladly took the escape route and is now hiding under the deck. Poor thing is a ball of fluff, and it is heavy with snow.

twocvbloke

Poor cat, I'd bring it indoors and let it warm up with food & water (of course, that's the thought in the mind, trying to pick up & carry a feral cat in reality, totally different thing altogether, usually involving bloodshed!!)... :-\