News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Nifty Teletrainer

Started by Kenton K, January 04, 2014, 04:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Johnathan, (sorry about earlier miss-spelling your name.)

I'l get a phone or two hooked up, right after I choose which would be the best. And, after I get it restored and functioning, I might try to retouch the paint, as it looks to be scraped.

I agree, the dial lights just make the item seem more special. Especially the 500 mushroom phones, those are quite exciting too.

Ben

WesternElectricBen

Anyone know how to remove the knobs on the face plate, so I can remove the body?

Thanks,
Ben

jsowers

I think the knobs have set screws in the side. Either a small flatblade screwdriver or an Allen wrench would be required for removing them. Mine is missing one of the knobs but works fine without it. The shafts have a flat side to them and that's where the set screw usually goes.

And if you are aiming to get my name right, it's Jonathan, spelled like in the Bible. But I'll answer to anything.  :)
Jonathan

Sargeguy

Mine used star sockets.  Good luck!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Mr. Bones

Quote from: jsowers on April 19, 2014, 04:34:40 PM
I'm glad you liked the light-up logo. .. and got a 1946 Silvertone console for my bedroom--with lighted dial. I hate to say how long ago that was, but I still have that radio in my bedroom and I've owned it longer than the first owner.
Jonathan, I'd just love to see pics of the 1946 Silvertone console...Old Time Radio fan, and collector, here...

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

WesternElectricBen

After pictures, sorry KK for taking over this thread. :)

Ben

Weco355aman

Ben you have been scoring some great stuff. I'm still trying to acquire a mushroom phone, also still after a Teletrainer, and some old WE answering machines.
Phil

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Weco355aman on April 19, 2014, 09:48:32 PM
Ben you have been scoring some great stuff. I'm still trying to acquire a mushroom phone, also still after a Teletrainer, and some old WE answering machines.

Oh really, did you see the link I put down lower, comes with two phones?

I'd like to get an answering machine too, I had the chance 2 years ago, at Lancaster, as one was offered for auction, but nobody bid, or took it. It was later offered as a 'kitty litter box.' Good times..

Ben

jsowers

Ben, I really like the shot with the logo lit up. Your Teletrainer looks to be in perfect condition. I assume it works well too.

Mr. Bones, ask and ye shall receive. I hate to hijack the thread too, but one old radio more or less won't hurt. I ripped off the old ugly grille cloth and put something I found at my grandmother's house on it--still ugly but a lot cleaner. I was like 12 years old and never knew you shouldn't do that. Live and learn. The radio, which was $5 at a local antique shop, worked when we got it home and picked up distant stations like WWL and KMOX. I was hooked at a young age. The record player crystal cartridge was bad, as usual, but the turntable turns. As far as I know, the radio still works. I don't turn it on much. The picture was taken at Christmas a few years ago, hence the Bing Crosby. I've had the radio for 43 years. I even took it with me to college at UNC-Chapel Hill. It's a keeper.

Weco355aman, send Dennis Markham a PM. He may have an old WE answering machine he got off Craigslist, but it's huge and heavy and may not be worth shipping. He may have already sold it--I'm not sure.
Jonathan

WesternElectricBen

It needs some paint touches up, but for the most part is is. The only thing I haven't gotten to work, (and after your wiring instructions) is it won't ring. I tried waiting for the tubes to warm up, picking up the handset etc. I'm guessing the circuit needs to be repaired.

Beautiful, beautiful, radio.

Ben

Mr. Bones

Quote from: jsowers on April 19, 2014, 10:41:38 PM
Ben, I really like the shot with the logo lit up.
Absolutely gorgeous, Ben! Thanks for sharing, and enjoy your TeleTrainer! I have faith that you'll get it ringing, before long. You are that good!
Mr. Bones, ask and ye shall receive....  The picture was taken at Christmas a few years ago, hence the Bing Crosby. I've had the radio for 43 years. I even took it with me to college at UNC-Chapel Hill. It's a keeper.
Jonathan, thanks immensely for the picture. I'd love to have the full-res version emailed to me; make a great Christmas card! ;)

I learned to play guitar on my Dad's Airline archtop, same as the Silvertone (Made by the same mfr for Sears and Monkey Wards. Still use several Silvertone planks for open slide work, and have one of the top ten ever guitar amps for decades: a Sears Silvertone Twin Twelve. Add Strat, and cord. N Othing else required. No BS, Perfect Chicago Pawnshop Blues tone, every time. Quite possibly, the crappiest reverb ever invented, so use external!

'Keeper', indeed! She's a beauty. 8) 8) 8) I started repairing tube radios about 6 years old. Grandpa Ham operator, Dad too, plus he was 119th, 130th SRIC Signal Radio Intelligence Corp during WWII. Intercepting Japanese code, and ADF locating their stations, in the Pacific, mainly from Guam.
Very hush-hush, at the time. (They had various unit emblems on their uniforms, including 2nd Armoured, which was in the ETO for the duration, after North African Campaign.) Nudge, nudge, wink, wink) ;) (3rd Gen Ham here)

I still have, and use some Silvertone planks for studio slide work, including recording with the built-in-case amps. Also have one of the top ten guitar amps of all time, a '60s 50W Sears Silvertone Twin Twelve. Just add cord, and Strat. No BS. Perfect 1950's Chicago pawnshop Blues tone, every time. Big happy! Quite possibly the crap*iest reverb ever implemented into an amplifier, so I use external tube reverb, when wanted.

Best regards
</hijack>
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Kenton K

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on April 19, 2014, 09:35:46 PM
After pictures, sorry KK for taking over this thread. :)

Ben

Haha. No problem.

Enjoy!-Ken

Jim Stettler

I was told the teletrainer telephones for that style of teletrainer  had the ringer  on the black/yellow pair of the line cord. You might want to experiment.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Jim S. on April 21, 2014, 10:20:12 PM
I was told the teletrainer telephones for that style of teletrainer  had the ringer  on the black/yellow pair of the line cord. You might want to experiment.

Jim

Thanks, I'l try that out!
Ben

Kenton K

I have a schematic if anybody wants it. It comes on the underside of the machine, but that often wears out and is unreadable. That will show you the right hook ups and any internal components that may need replacement (like tubes).

Ken