News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Nifty Teletrainer

Started by Kenton K, January 04, 2014, 04:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Hi Ken. I will take a copy of the Wiring diagram. I do not know if mine is readable or not as I have not received it yet but better have one just on case.
Thanks.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WesternElectricBen

Good idea, my wiring sketch is in rather poor condition.

Ben

Kenton K

Actually---For anybody who wants a diagram, I just found a copy on the TCI library that is exactly the same as mine but in better condition.

WesternElectricBen

Much appreciated, I'l take a look at it this weekend.

Ben

Fabius

Bought this on eBay for $42. Probably on the high end of value but I like the large '39 Bell Logos and the unit looks new. Came with the case but no phones. Now I'll have to find some nice sets for it. This unit will display well with two colored 500 sets.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Fabius

In the case of the teletrainer I just received were several marked Western Electric 225A adapters that convert 4 prong plugs to modular.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

WesternElectricBen

Nice find, and good idea of a modular converter. I just have 4 prong phones hooked up.

Ben

Contempra

thanks Kenton for the pdf.

poplar1

You'll probably have to change the ringer connections in any modular phones you plan to use with the Teletrainer. Just move the black ringer wire that's on L1 back to G, as it was originally.

Quote from: Fabius on May 25, 2014, 11:34:39 AM
In the case of the teletrainer I just received were several marked Western Electric 225A adapters that convert 4 prong plugs to modular.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

New England Tel.

Quote from: Owain on March 30, 2014, 05:30:41 PM

Pilots use radio simulators for training that add artificial snap crackle and pop instead of providing perfect transmission.

Then, it was probably made by Kellogg!   :P   ;D
-Bob Archambault

unbeldi

Quote from: G-Man on January 05, 2014, 01:07:47 AM
It is very difficult to understand your harsh criticism of a product that used quality components from reputable manufacturers such as Cornell-Dubilier,  Jensen, Sprague, IRC, Carling, etc.

Perhaps you can elaborate as to what your perception of poor quality is.

Merely opening the last model of these, reveals the disaster of poor construction.  See picture.  Trying to actually pull out the board for servicing from the housing is difficult and leaves the board entangle in a web of wires, rather than connected with a neatly bundled harness.

The picture doesn't actually show the difficulty to get the board pulled and positioned in this manner.

Quality components don't make a quality system. From a few reports and discussions, I suspected that the drive transistors for the relays are under-dimensioned or unprotected. My unit initially appeared to have the same problem, but it turned out that the relays were "sticky" and after tapping them repeatedly and operating them, the problem seemed to be corrected.  Perhaps not such great component quality either.

Operation of this unit is not a quality experience either in hind-sight.
It has more of a toy character than actual teaching value. Perhaps the earlier teletrainers made by outside suppliers were better.

Kenton K

Yes. Yours looks to be a later one. It looks much more cheap with the 'floating' pcb. Have you seen the inside of the my type of teletrainer? Its pretty interesting inside, especially the floating cam that creates the dial tone/busy signal/ringer patters.

Best-Kenton

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Kenton K on June 20, 2014, 09:50:48 PM
especially the floating cam that creates the dial tone/busy signal/ringer patters.

I agree, it definitely intrigued me when I first saw it operate.
Ben

unbeldi

Quote from: Kenton K on June 20, 2014, 09:50:48 PM
Yes. Yours looks to be a later one. It looks much more cheap with the 'floating' pcb. Have you seen the inside of the my type of teletrainer? Its pretty interesting inside, especially the floating cam that creates the dial tone/busy signal/ringer patters.

Best-Kenton
I believe this is the only teletrainer actually made by WECo. All others were made under contract by others, early ones by Stromberg-Carlson. I do suspect them to be of higher quality, but have not had the opportunity to play with those.

In this, the circuit boards aren't quite 'floating'. They are affixed inside, IIRC, one with screws the other by a plastic slot. Wires were strung criss-cross across the intervening space, making it rather difficult to untangle and pull the boards for diagnostics.

Fabius

Quote from: Kenton K on April 22, 2014, 06:53:12 PM
Actually---For anybody who wants a diagram, I just found a copy on the TCI library that is exactly the same as mine but in better condition.

Is the schematic shown in this document also the correct one for the earlier teletrainer as shown in my posting above? If not where could I find one? Thanks.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905