News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern Electric QUC1A Teletrainer

Started by DavePEI, September 03, 2014, 08:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Many of you will have noticed my NE QUC1A Teletrainer mentioned in my finds from Don Woodbury.

Until it arrived, I hadn't even realized that NE made its own Teletrainer. They did, and the biggest difference between thers and those produced by WE is NE's was designed for one single line phone, and one multi-line phone.

As a result, NE's used an 8 pin, rather than 4 pin connector for each phone. This becomes a problem, as these old multi-line connectors are made of 100 % pure unobtanium. I was, however, able to find one, and by using it on the multi-line phone, and a 4 pin connector adapted to work on the single line one, I should be able to use it as designed - only I will have to make certain the single line phone is plugged into the 4 pin connector...

Below, I will post some shots of the machine. I searched for and found a power connector to fit the machine. Its power connector is an in-line 15 amp female AC connector which is recessed into the case. I final;ly found one which would fit made for a piece of medical equipment.

Note the photo below of the back of the unit. You will see the two 8 pin connectors. I have been doping these out, and their wiring is beginning to make sense.

Pins one and 2 are ring and tip for the phone connected. The connector for the second phone is inverted, so one and two are on the bottom right and center...

Ring is on pin 6 as shown by the meter leads in the photo. on the first connector, this works out to be two pins down from pin one; on the second connector, two pins above pin one.

So, while I have more doping out to do to figure out how NE wired the second (multi-lline) phone, at least I have the basics of the wiring for two single line phones.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

tallguy58

Nice job, Dave finding the bits and pieces.

I knew you'd get it working as soon as I pulled it out of the box and saw your eyes light up!

Keep us posted.
Cheers........Bill

DavePEI

Quote from: tallguy58 on September 03, 2014, 08:54:12 PM
Nice job, Dave finding the bits and pieces.

I knew you'd get it working as soon as I pulled it out of the box and saw your eyes light up!

Keep us posted.
Hi Bill:

I think I mentioned at the time how much I had been hoping I would find a Teletrainer in the lot  ;) . I had found a bunch of other needed items, and really couldn't ever hope for more! As you say, was I ever pleased, not only to find one when you opened tje box, but to find an NE Teletrainer, as I hadn't seen one ever before!

I also have a WE tube type Teletrainer on the way, but it will be nice to have the Canadian made solid state unit also.

Haven't been able to do too much with the PILE the past week or so.. I wound up being put on IV antibiotics for my leg infection, and am losing several hours a day getting to the hospital for the IVs. Not fun, but better than the alternative...

Then yesterday on the way back from the Hospital, my passenger door window broke -- it won't stay up, and just rattles itself open. Looks like it may need a new regulator at the base of the window. I'm sure that won't be cheap or fast to get fixed. The motor on the window does appear to be ok, so that may save a bit.

Photo: Bill and Liam just after they pulled the Teletrainer out of the PILE!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001