News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

212g. First Three Slot payphone in my collection. Now some questions

Started by trainman, February 19, 2016, 10:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainman

Thanks to StanS, RotarDad, a few other forum members, and outside vendors, I have found all the missing parts, except one wire clamp, to make the payphone back to factory specs.

Thanks.

trainman

Found most of the needed parts.

trainman

RotarDad

Tony - Looks great so far!  The condition on that phone is very nice.  Interesting that those two leads are soldered on the pileup, instead of screw terminals.  I wonder why WE did that on the 212G?  Keep the photos coming as your work progresses......
Paul

Stan S

Paul
The construction of a Western postpay pileup is different than a prepay.
The postpay has an extra contact. There isn't enough room on the left edge
of the pileup for the head of another screw.
So, they made the connection of the extra contact and what it makes contact with both solder lugs.

Stan S.

trainman

Look what I just got. 144C backboard. has a 687b subset on it, but I have a 685A subset on hand.

I think I'm going to put the threaded inserts into the mounting holes for the phone, so i'm not relying on wood screws to mount the phone. Just use machine screws. that's how the 144Ds are.

Think Ill be experimenting with black tinted schellac to refinish this board. the phone looks better than the board, but the board isn't shabby either.

Payphone installer

144c backboards are hard to find and are for a older set might want to think about using it for a future older payphone and I would keep it original

Payphone installer

I have the wire clamp and any other parts you still need. Jim

trainman

I need the clamp on the lower right, next to the hopper

RotarDad

Can someone explain what's in that box on the 144c backboard?  Some unusual components, including what looks like a party line tube???
Paul

Stan S

Quote from: trainman on February 27, 2016, 09:56:55 AM
I need the clamp on the lower right, next to the hopper

The box of parts you bought has a BKX terminal assemble in it. It's the part with the wire jumper screwed to it. If you have a Dremel Tool or a hacksaw cut off the bottom of it and you'll have the clamp you need.

trainman

I didn't want to cut the clamp off. Someone might need that part someday.  I can just use a plastic clamp. Or I had some similar clamps in my stash, I hope I still have them. I just haven't unpacked and organized my work room after my move.

Or I can just use the entire terminal strip, if it wont interfere with the existing set up.

Stan S

>I didn't want to cut the clamp off. Someone might need that part someday.

Not a problem.

Stan S.

trainman