News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

212g. First Three Slot payphone in my collection. Now some questions

Started by trainman, February 19, 2016, 10:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainman

My other thought is, I bet they just sprayed black laquer on the raw wood of the backboard.

Denatured alchohol does a nice job of softening latex paint. got a lot of the paint lapped on the edges off. But I found out the edges of the board have been painted at least twice before. Edges currently black., found green under the paint. I guess its not far fetched. the subset that came with it the black cover had been painted green. not moss green, but like sea foam green.

trainman

I cleaned up all the house paint drips, sanding it lightly, and just hit it with black lacquer. I think Ill take some steel wool to it to knock down the gloss. Its lacquer, so it all can be undone with laquer thinner and steel wool.

I suspect WE either painted these with thinned paint, since the grain does show through, or they used thinned black lacquer. Its not shellac. Didn't dissolve with denatured alchohol. No laquer thinner on hand, so I didn't test it. I doubt its lacquer anyway. I can tell it didn't melt into what was under it.

RotarDad

I got curious about that 687B subset on Tony's backboard since I didn't recognize the components.  Here is the BSP for these:

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_view/3534-c31-124-i1-subscriber-sets-685-686-687

Apparently, the 687B was not used for coin collectors.  It contains a relay, a varistor and the 426A tube.  It was used for 4-party selective or 8-party semi-selective ringing.  A party line unit, which must have had a separate ringer (or buzzer or light) connected to them.  Or did these work a different way?  Can anyone explain the situation that would have required one of these?
Paul

unbeldi

Quote from: RotarDad on February 28, 2016, 11:38:15 PM
I got curious about that 687B subset on Tony's backboard since I didn't recognize the components.  Here is the BSP for these:

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_view/3534-c31-124-i1-subscriber-sets-685-686-687

Apparently, the 687B was not used for coin collectors.  It contains a relay, a varistor and the 426A tube.  It was used for 4-party selective or 8-party semi-selective ringing.  A party line unit, which must have had a separate ringer (or buzzer or light) connected to them.  Or did these work a different way?  Can anyone explain the situation that would have required one of these?

The 687B  was used for extension ringers on lines where excessive inductive noise was a problem.  The operation using a tube for the ringing bridge is identical to a 306 or 309 type telephone, or a 501, 509.  We discussed the operation recently in this topic: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=15707.msg163165#msg163165

The only difference in this subset is the use of a relay to switch an external local ringing circuit on or off, or alternately other signals such as visible indicators, lights.  Such a ringer/indicator could be powered from utility power, or any other suitable source.

PS:  The problem with using extension ringers on party-lines is that they introduce imbalance on the tip vs. ring side of the line.  This was always a problem on grounded-ringing party lines because if the either side of the line had a different impedance w/r/t ground, it could cause inductive noise from power lines, or even cross-talk from parallel lines on poles or in conduits.  The electron tube has a very high impedance and isolates the load of the ringing bridge.

trainman

Shipping from Canada is so slow. Still waiting for the dial cord harness fromOld phone Works.

trainman

Once I find some suitable brown cloth covered wire to rewire the signal transmitters, wire up the subset, and find a place to hang it, its almost done.

Found a real 10h lock to replace the decorator series lock, and I plenty of 30c locks for the vault door.