News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

question about first year of the 554

Started by southernphoneman, September 25, 2013, 04:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southernphoneman

I know that the 1949 500 is rare, but is the first year of the 554, which is 1955, rare also? thank you. Gregg

WesternElectricBen

I believe your right, the earliest made was in 54 though on my "Telephone Story" poster it says 1956...

Ben  

paul-f

"Events in Telecommunications History (by AT&T) lists the press release date for the 554 as November 5, 1954. 
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

jsowers

The earliest I've seen is 1955, in black. Later in 1955 came ivory and the rest of the colors in 1956. And to answer the original question, yes they are rare in original condition (not refurbished). But valuable? Not particularly. It's whatever someone wants to pay. Black wall phones aren't everyone's cup of tea. What I would call rare and valuable are the darker colors from 1956 like dark gray, dark blue, brown and dark beige.
Jonathan

AE_Collector

I would assume that a 1954/1955 554 would be as rare as a 1949/1950 500. However, presumably things had settled down as far as the components in the 500's by the time the 554 was introduced so maybe there aren't as many differences in the initial 554 as compared to the later 554's? Not as many changes as the early 500's went through at least? Just thinking out loud....but probably not making any sense....as usual....

Terry

southernphoneman

Jonathan and Terry, you guys just made my day, that is the answer that I was hoping for, thank you,Gregg. ;)

WesternElectricBen

southernphoneman