News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

got the WE 302 with AE dial

Started by troydog, September 07, 2011, 08:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troydog

Ok got this phone today from shop goodwill. Sticker came off like butter it was paper and had sugar glue on it. Not the phone itself. Where to start. Dial is a AE not my thing jelly bean but works I think. It is missing one screw on the back side that holds it to the case. What size did they use?

Next the ringer what the heck is up with it. It has a thing stuck inside the gong.

Phone base is dated 1940 ringer the 50's handset forgot lol but it is solid and has the #30 on the rim of it. I got it off the phone to clean think it has had a paint job in the pass.

Now give me hell look at the photos and till me what should be replaced and not. Cords will be but what about the dial worth it to replace or not.

Oh  I did a error nothing big but look at the dial I removed the card holder. Then took the whell off to clean # plate. Is the brass thing upside down?

Stephen Furley

It's difficult to see which way up the brass part is in that picture, but the small square area at the tip of it should be raised up towards you; it fits over a small tab on the card holder.

That 'phone doesn't look the right shape to be a 302, and the notch in the body to take the finger stop wouldn't be right for a WE dial; whatever it is it looks like it was designed for the AE dial.

troydog

Thanks I had the holder part on wrong. The dial finger stop is made to look that way. Here is a photo with the dial removed and one of the back side of the dial I can not read what it says at all.  How hard would it be to cxhange back to a #5 WE dial in this?

Stephen Furley

That looks more like it in the new picture; in the original one it looked like there was a notch in the case where the finger stop was.  also, from the angle it was photographed it looked a different, more rounded, shape.  In the new picture it does look like an intact 302, and the dial gasket is there, so you should be able to fit a WE dial.

GG

Though, keep that AE dial and all its little parts in a Ziploc bag.  Sooner or later you will have a phone that needs an AE dial or some parts from an AE dial.

Also look up the material on line (someone here probably has a link) on the proper technique for removing & replacing the AE dial number card retainer ring.  People who don't know how it's done can easily damage those and then have to replace them, and they are not easily obtainable parts.