News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is this phone?

Started by Greg G., September 13, 2011, 01:59:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Came across this ad on CL.  I thought for sure I probably had something for him, but I couldn't part with any of my babies.  Anyway, I was curious about the phone in the upper right corner of his ad.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/wan/2564005304.html

QuoteWANTED: old antique phone (will pick up)

Date: 2011-09-10, 8:17AM PDT
Reply to: sale-vz7mk-2564005304@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

WANTED: old antique phone to use as a conversation piece on my bookshelf. I don't really care what kind it is- as long as it's old and cool looking. When replying, PLEASE send a picture! Thanks!!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Wallphone

It looks like a phone that was cobbled together using older parts. This one and two others shown have round pushbutton dials. The other phone in the lower left has the image reversed.
Doug Pav

Russ Kirk

I agree,  I think 3 of them are Crosley sets.   Maybe he used commercial phones so he won't get in trouble using an image from another collector.

Maybe this person is listing ads in craigslist to increase his antiques telephone collection. 
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

GG

The one in the upper left is not Crosley, it's one of the (IMHO rather garish and unattractive) many overly-ornate approximately desk stand shaped phones you can probably find on Ebay.

Lower left is a real original German W-48 set, but shown "flipped" in reverse.

Lower right is the Crosley replica desk stand, which I think of as an AE 21 replica, and appears pretty decent as with all Crosley replicas.

Upper right is an odd one.  Probably another replica from one of many makers of such things, the clue being the added metal "rails" below the dial and above the ringer box.  It would not surprise me if there was not a functional clapper between the gongs, and of course the crank is purely decorative.

What to do about this:  Someone, quick!, hook this guy up with a real 302, or AE 41 with chrome dial.  He's just looking for something cool for his shelf, but if he gets his hands on the real thing, there's a decent likelihood he'll show up here.  About six months after that, he's going to need another bookcase.  For the phones:-)

paul-f

Crosley 1910...
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Greg G.

I guess I didn't look close enough.  Ugh, I hate those push-button imitations.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

GG

Paul:  "Eeeeek!"  Ye Gads!  Crosley have lost their minds.