News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another phone club member selling off his phones!

Started by HarrySmith, December 16, 2011, 07:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Another long time collector is apparently selling off his collection! Has a few listed right now way over my price range! Even the "famous" mannequin phone
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

old_stuff_hound

EDIT: removed long URL

twocvbloke

This one should work:

www.ebay.com/itm/120830336000

Willytx

The phone in the first post is supposedly off the SS Normandie. Thee can't be too many of those around. Most of the furniture on board was designed for that ship, I wonder if the phone was as well.

http://tinyurl.com/d9yvd7u

AE_Collector

Part of the description from this AE 34 listing seems to indicate that there was yet a third trim option offered by AECo. There was Chrome, Gold and Brass trim and not surprisingly, this AE 34 came with the "Brass trim". NOT.

http://www.ebay.com/itm120830336061

This is the harder to get model 34 Automatic Electric bakelite telephone from the early 1930's.

They were offered in many colors of bakelite with either a gold, brass, or chrome trim.

This model has brass trim which means the receiver, transmitter caps, and dial are all shiny brass.

cihensley@aol.com

HarrySmith:

Other than some listings, do you have any information that Dan Golden is selling-off his collection? He sold his first collection for $1 million, but that was about 15-18 years ago.

Chuck

HarrySmith

No personal information on Dan, just noticed in the past few months he is selling a lot of real nice phones.
Hence the word "apparently" in my statement.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Quote from: HarrySmith on December 17, 2011, 09:33:29 AM
No personal information on Dan, just noticed in the past few months he is selling a lot of real nice phones.

A lot of "real nice prices too"! I have a feeleing that with Dan "Everything is for Sale" but not too much sells. Still trying to hit the jackpot with that Manaquin/Phone thing I see....

Terry

bingster

I agree about the prices.  The phone at the top this page is probably worth it, though.  But it would be nice if it came with some sort of documentation proving that specific set was removed from Normandie.  From what I can tell from stateroom photos, Normandie's telephones did look like that, but whether they were used on other CGT ships, or in other places on land, is something else I'd like to know.   
= DARRIN =

Willytx

Quote from: bingster on December 17, 2011, 02:01:49 PM
I agree about the prices.  The phone at the top this page is probably worth it, though.  But it would be nice if it came with some sort of documentation proving that specific set was removed from Normandie.  From what I can tell from stateroom photos, Normandie's telephones did look like that, but whether they were used on other CGT ships, or in other places on land, is something else I'd like to know.   

The removal of 'stuff' from the Normandie was rather haphazard. Storage and disposal even more so. Some of the ship's furnishings were auctioned, other things just went away. The US Navy's job was to clear out the ship and bring everything up to US standards. Unfortunately during this process, the ship burned.