News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Different 302 dial.

Started by Dan/Panther, May 01, 2009, 08:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I got this 302 today, and it has a different dial Mechanism in it. The finger stop, is also stamped with the number 6 on the outside edge.
It is originally dated 12-52, the case is H1 dated 11 52, HOWEVER on the bottom it has stamped several numbers.

Stamped  vs.    My interpretation
10RIII55          March 10, 1950
30R362            March 30, 1962
3R350              March 03, 1950 ???

If these are refurb dates how can a refurb date precede the original date of the phone stamped on the inside?

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

benhutcherson

There's no reason that a new telephone has to get a new dial.

In the Bell system's eyes, a refurb dial would have been identical to a brand new dial. If they saw that they had a large excess of refurb dials, or a shortage of new dials, they probably would have used the refurbs on new telephones until the inventories evened out.

Also, a dial was by no means married to a telephone for life. This particular dial was probably removed(and replaced) in the field, and then sent back to the factory.

When you're dealing with a Bell system product, the number one rule is that anything goes, and the corollary to that is to assume nothing.

bingster

10RIII55 is third quarter, 1955.  As for the refurb mark from 1950 (3R350), there's clearly some sort of time travel going on there.

EDIT-------

Just read Ben's post... are the refurb dates on the dial or on the phone's base?
= DARRIN =

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

I only commented on the dial because I had never seen a 302 with that particular dial.
The refurb dates are stamped on the bottom, and they precede the date stamped on the inside of the base.
Now I fully understand that we are dealing with Ma Bell here, but this obviously sheds some different light on base and refurb dates. How can a refurb date precede original manufactured date ?
Has anyone seen a refurb date that preceded the date of the base ?
D/P
One correction on the dates. The outside base date that says 4-30-52, is actually 62.

BDM

I've seen them with a #6 dial. I had two that were parts sets with those dials. They're far more common in the 5302 and 354 sets. Man, your 302 has been refurbed to death!
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

benhutcherson

Sorry, I misread your initial post.

The #6 dial mechanically very similar to a 7A dial. I have at least two 302s which have #6s installed, so they're not all that uncommon.

Dennis Markham

I don't think I've run across a #6 in a 302 but have found them quite common in the 354's.

Dan/Panther

O.K. what's up, everyone is ignoring the question about the refurb date on the outside that is stamped 3-03-50, and the date stamped on the inside very clearly says 12-52. how can a refurb date precede the date on the inside of the base  ??? ??? ???

D/P

HobieSport

I for one am not ignoring the question...it's just got me stumped! ??? :)

BDM

I don't see anyone ignoring your question. More like no one knows, including me.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

BDM;
I'm just playing Devils advocate here, all said with tongue in cheek.
Just a very curious situation.
D/P

bingster

Dan, does the interior date appear to be in the same typestyle used for the interior dates of your other 302s?  It's hard to tell from the photo, but it looks slightly different to me.  It's also followed by a letter or digit... what is that? 
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Dan, are you sure that date isn't 3-30-1960.  It's difficult to tell from the photo.  It just doesn't make sense that a repair date could be earlier than the manufacture date as you have stated.  Put that 50 under the microscope and see if it isn't a 60.

Dan/Panther

This is about as good as I can get, there is a lot of damage to the paint on the bottom, and I guess it could be 3-30-60, I just can't tell for sure. It looks like 50.
If you look close at the top of the 5 the edges appear to start to curve inward which would indicate to me a rounding effect where a five would continue square.
I'm going to have to say it is probably a 6 and not a five but it sure was convincing...Also the scratch goes right through the upper tail, which most likely removed the rounded end of the digit.

D/P