News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Thoughts on WE Candlestick Restoration?

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, March 18, 2015, 01:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I just bought a mish-mashed WE candlestick on ebay for the opening auction price of $39.99 + shipping. It has an AE transmitter face and broken receiver, but the base is an early type (designed for a grommet on the cord opening. Would this mean the transmitter would have been uninsulated, since both the cup and base used grommets?), and the perch is probably later (20AL or 40AL type).

I have a 329W transmitter that I was going to use on my 20-B, but the nickel on it is slightly pitted, enough that it would be very noticeable next to brand new nickel. Because I'm so careful about preserving finishes that aren't too far gone, I wouldn't want to have this re-nickeled. Instead, I want to preserve the original nickel, which is actually really shiny after being polished, despite the dots of corrosion.

I was wondering if the 329W transmitter (cup is insulated) would be original for this candlestick. The ebay listing didn't show any pictures of the perch, so I don't know the exact model.

I think it would look cool with a black powdercoated base, the nickel 329W, a 143 or 144 receiver, and green cords. What do you guys think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351342646765

P.S, I had to take screenshots of the ebay pictures, since my iPad won't let me copy or paste the original pictures.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Sargeguy

This phone would most likely be painted black with a 329w transmitter and 144AW receiver, unless it is a 20-PC or 20-BC, in which case it would be nickel plated.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Sargeguy on March 18, 2015, 01:55:25 PM
This phone would most likely be painted black with a 329w transmitter and 144AW receiver, unless it is a 20-PC or 20-BC, in which case it would be nickel plated.
So, my nickel 329W transmitter would be correct for this phone, or would it have to be black? I know models like the 20-SC and 20-AP came with nickel transmitters, but could any black WE candlestick then come with a nickel transmitter from the factory, regardless of model stamped on perch?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

poplar1

Early 20-ALs had nickel plated transmitters*; everything else was black. "329BW" was used for a while to indicate black transmitters, in contrast to the 329W which was nickel. (Perhaps later on, the B was dropped, even for black transmitters?)

*Note: not sure whether the transmitter bell ("cup") was also nickel plated on the early 20-ALs.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

wds

Here's a nice web site I use to determine what the original parts would have been on a W.E. candlestick.

http://www.oldtimephones.com/perchmarkings.html
Dave

Sargeguy

That site lists the 291w transmitter, which is rare, as correct for most desk stands.  It was used for a short time and replaced by the 329w.  You can find a more extensive list here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6956.0
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

Dave's (Wistful Vista) source for the drawn perches info is Western Electric Bulletin No. 12, Sept. 1, 12. However, in the description, he states that the No. 291 was apparently replaced in 1913 by the No. 329.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.