News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Proctor 51500 Telephone Tester

Started by gands-antiques, May 17, 2019, 02:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gands-antiques

I just  got a Proctor tester and I'm trying to test uninstalled dials. When I connect my test leads to the dial and to the tester and push the dial test button, I get a message that says "Lift handset" .  I can't figure out how to get around the lift handset requirement. 

Does anyone know how to test uninstalled dials on this tester.

* I was able to test one dial but I have been getting the lift handset note since the first dial.

Thanks,
Gary

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

gands-antiques

Thanks Jim.  I have a version 2 and also a hardcopy of the manual but I haven't been able to find the information about testing uninstalled dials and how to get around the Lift Handset requirement

Gary

Ktownphoneco

Gary  ....    I took a quick look through the manual that Jim posted, and it seems to me that the dial needs to be "in" and telephone tin order to test it.      The manual makes several references to the necessity of calibrates that telephone tester in order to ensure accurate results.      It also appears that the set doesn't actually provide you with a pulses per second or a break / make ratio readout, but tells you if the dial passes or fails the test.    But that is probably effected by how your test set itself is calibrated.
I use a Sage 930A to calibrate dials, but it requires that the dial actually be connected to a telephone loop from the central off.  In other words, it requires the voltage supplied by the C/O in order to conduct the test.    That's why it's telling you to lift the handset.    It's looking for the voltage from the C/O.     
I calibrate my dials out of an actual telephone, but I built a phone using an old 500 series wall set.     I removed the ringer and the existing dial and connected the individual dial testing leads to the 425 series network.    There is a telecommunications jack that plugs into the Sage, and 4 individual leads that are marked the same as a type 2 / 4 / 5 and 6 Western & Northern style dial.  I have separate test sets for A.E. dials.   I think you'll find that in order to test a dial, it needs to either be in a telephone connected to a telco line, or connected to a "phone on a board" like I use.    Attached is a quick picture of the "phone on a board" that I use.   Click & double click to enlarge.

Jeff Lamb

Jim Stettler

I  created a dial test phone with 24"  dial leads so I could keep the dial out and still easily test them.
I used a busted up 302 since I was tested 3" dials. The tester I was using was a BK1045.

Jim
You live, You learn,

gands-antiques

Thanks Jim and Jeff....I appreciate the information.

I don't need to tests dials often enough to build a permanent station like Jeff did but it does seem like a really good idea.  I think the extended length jumper leads Jim made would work well for me.

Jim...do you have spades on one end of the jumpers and alligator clips on the other end?

I also have a Radio Shack 43-114 tester and I can test uninstalled dials on it but i don't think it is as accurate as the Proctor.

Thanks,
Gary 

Jim Stettler

Quote from: gands-antiques on May 17, 2019, 05:20:09 PM

Jim...do you have spades on one end of the jumpers and alligator clips on the other end?

Yes.
They were old rubber test leads with a factory alligator clip on one end . There is a  spade to the other end. I got 6-8 in an auction  lot at a phone show.
They are packed away somewhere.

You live, You learn,

gands-antiques

Sounds good...

I would like to make them with clamps on both ends but that may be asking a lot to keep 10 good connections with clamps.

If you jump a dial to be tested to the terminals of an installed dial, does the installed dial have any impact on the test since it is not rotated?

Thanks,
Gary