"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need Help With 302 Wiring

Started by gands-antiques, April 05, 2012, 10:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gands-antiques

Hello,

I need some help with a WE 302 (non-metal base) that I purchased at an antiques store in Missouri last week. It was tagged as working but the cloth mounting cord had been cut and only bare wires were exposed.  I put  a module cord on it and it doesn't work...no dial tone or anything.  I checked out the TCI Library for the wiring diagram and I tried two ways to wire the two mounting cord wires but it still didn't work.

I'm including a few pictures for reference...

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary

Phonesrfun

The line cord should go between L1 and Y/L2, as in the middle photo.  To ring, the black ringer wire should be moved up to Y/L2 also.

Are you sure that the modular plug at the other end of your cord is wired correctly?

Also, check to see that there is a transmitter element and a receiver element inside the handset handle, and that they are both making contact.

-Bill G

jem872

Hello Gary. It looks like the black ringer wire is going to ground. I have been told this goes to terminal K. You may want to check this out and see if that may be the case.

Dennis Markham

I have always connected the black ringer wire to "K" as well.  Maybe I've been doing it wrong or there is more than one way to wire it.

Doug Rose

Your phone looks like an very early themoplastic 302. Can you get a close up of the orange vermilion. It should be a date. This could be a very hard to find phone. It looks like everything in the base is dated 5/41, May 1941. The dial is an after ad. Unscrew the handset caps and check the dates on the elements. Is the hookswitch cover metal? I think you have a find!! Post some pictures of the outside and the date......Doug
Kidphone

twocvbloke

The shell date in the pic above appears to be "4 10 41" after zooming in on it with my galaxy tab... :)

Doug Rose

It was made well before my July 31 1941!!
Kidphone

gands-antiques

Well, thanks again to everyone.  I changed the line cord and I got a dial tone and could dial out. I moved the black ringer wire to the L2 terminal and there was a constant buzz.  I moved the black wire to the L1 terminal and everything is working perfectly.

The date on the inside base is 5-41, I believe the date inside the case appears to be 1-10-41 and the the handset mouthpiece element is 5-41.  Surprisingly, there are no cracks in the thermoplastic case or in the handset.

If anyone is interested in it I might be wiling to sell it.

Thanks again to everyone...you've saved me again!!

Gary