News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Strange receiver add on, anyone seen before?

Started by Haf, November 01, 2017, 05:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haf

I found a picture of Mr. Arnold Rothstein, so must be made before or 1928 with his desk phone assembly. Receiver seems bit strange and never seen before, not even in any old supply catalogues. Obviously for hands free phone calls.  Haven't found anything on it here too, so I thought post the picture.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

Greg G.

Kinda reminds me of 18th century hearing aids:
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

TelePlay

Quote from: Brinybay on November 01, 2017, 05:35:31 PM
Kinda reminds me of 18th century hearing aids:

As an FYI: Un-affordable device these days.

Greg G.

Quote from: TelePlay on November 01, 2017, 06:30:49 PM
As an FYI: Un-affordable device these days.

That's a bargain!  My modern hearing aids, if I bought them outright, would be around $7k!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

RB

twocvbloke

TelePlay

If you look at the image closely, you can see the butt end of the receiver sticking out below the "adapter" box which connects the receiver cap end to the sound horn, an actual hollow tube horn and not a receiver (wired element & diaphragm) at the ear end. It's a sound powered receiver tube, or whatever they called it.

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Haf

TelePlay,
you can even see the top of the original receiver, seems like the original cap was replaced with that hollow tube thingie, or even the tube somehow attached under the receiver cap and coming throu the hole. At least, has to be lightweight if so.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

HarrySmith

John,
The picture does not lend itself to magnification very well but, the part you have pointed out as an adapter appears to be part of the scissors arm. Probably part of the clamp that holds the stick?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Haf

Better picture of the details. I would say same as HarrySmith, looks like the clamp to me too, The receiver can be seen behind.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

TelePlay

Some holders are quite simple, as this Kellogg pictured in their 1910 catalog.

That large bracket in the picture looks more like a dual purpose box, to hold the receiver close to the end of the hearing tube and to keep ambient noise out of the hearing tube. Looks like a box with its own set of clamps fitting in between the scissors clamps.

Haven't found the WE version yet, came across this Kellogg looking for something else.

TelePlay

The WE 1916 Apparatus Catalog (page 278) shows 3 varieties of these, all of them having a simple connection to the desk stand shaft.

19and41

Funny that should come up around world series time, given Mr. Rothstein's connection to a particular one. ;D
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

HarrySmith

I would imagine the bracket would be changed to accomodate the receiver. It sure looks like it is attached to the scissor assembly.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"