News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mediterranean Blue 500

Started by poplar1, December 12, 2013, 08:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

This one lasted only 20 minutes or so. It had a low opening bid option but buyer went for the $199 Buy-it-Now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Western-Electric-Rotary-Desk-Telephone-Scarce-Mediterranean-Blue-/201003491019

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

That was not the best way to list that phone, at least for the seller. I'm sure the buyer is thrilled . . .

JimH

I've never seen a date/model stamp like that before.  Usually it has the month also, and is a bit higher near the ringer volume wheel.  Nice find!
Jim H.

poplar1

Quote from: JimH on December 12, 2013, 11:50:12 PM
I've never seen a date/model stamp like that before.  Usually it has the month also, and is a bit higher near the ringer volume wheel.  Nice find!

57 here may refer to the color (dash 57) rather than the year
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

JimH

Quote from: poplar1 on December 13, 2013, 12:10:22 AM
Quote from: JimH on December 12, 2013, 11:50:12 PM

57 here may refer to the color (dash 57) rather than the year

Ahhh....you are right.  I never thought of that.  I have a 500 that has the color number "54" right under the date/model stamp. 
Jim H.

Matilo Telephones

There is also an autograph on the underside. What is the significance of that? Was that done by a technicain?
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

WEBellSystemChristian

I was the one who bought the phone. Ever since I first learned about the "Holy Grail" colors of the 500 series when I first started with rotary phones, I had the urge to get a med. blue 500. Until last night, that phone has been my ultimate dream phone. I've been thinking about it non-stop since then. Fortunately, it's only an hour drive from where I live, so it might get it in the mail tomorrow. :)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Matilo Telephones

Wow, an hours drive an 200 dollars; weren't you tempted to go pick it up? Gives you the chance to inspect it before buying it.
Groeten,

Arwin

WEBellSystemChristian

I couldn't get out there this weekend, we're hosting a big Christmas party tonight. Besides, I think my dad would rather spend ten bucks on shipping than gas to drive out there.
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

I recently purchased a Mediterranean Blue 500 from eBay for $199, and it arrived today in the mail (I was a little shocked to see a USPS truck driving up the driveway on a Sunday, but I'm not complaining!).  

There was little to no fading on the plastics, and it's an all-factory-original 1956, with dates ranging from 5-56 to 11-56. With a little cleaning and a lot of compound and polish, the phone looks beautiful.

Looks like I'll be making up for the cost by snow blowing for free the rest of the season... :P

Also, I attached a picture my 12-year-old sister made on Microsoft Paint, showing my love affair with the phone ;D
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

It would be a lot prettier if there was a pic. :)

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on December 15, 2013, 05:31:59 PM
It would be a lot prettier if there was a pic. :)

Ben

You don't see pictures???
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

I didn't at first, I must have clicked it before the pics finished loading.

That phone sure is beautiful.

Did you say you get paid to snowblow, I sure don't.

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

Yeah, but I have a 3rd of a mile long driveway, and I have to go down and back a few times to get the whole driveway.
Christian Petterson

Matilo Telephones

Very good! Nice phone too.  ;)

Is that drewl she's drawn?
Groeten,

Arwin