News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

See what happens (High Starting Bids for Common 500 sets)

Started by BDM, February 15, 2009, 10:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDM

Quote from: HobieSport on February 16, 2009, 08:29:36 PMHmm.  He also has this '67 ITT 500 http://tinyurl.com/b8xup2 ( dead link 8/2/2015 ) that I wouldn't pay fifteen bucks for, unless I'm missing something.  Seems the sellers' strategy is maybe using silly high BIN/OBO prices. ???

Good Lord! Another one.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

benhutcherson

I made a $15 offer on one of the red ones over the weekend, thinking that, if nothing else, a nice red shell and push-to-talk handset would be worth that.

Almost immediately, I received a counter offer of $49.99. Quite a step down from $115, but I politely declined.

Dan/Panther

Quote from: HobieSport on February 16, 2009, 08:29:36 PM
Hmm.  He also has this '67 ITT 500  http://tinyurl.com/b8xup2 ( dead link 8/2/2015 )  that I wouldn't pay fifteen bucks for, unless I'm missing something.  Seems the sellers' strategy is maybe using silly high BIN/OBO prices. ???

Matt;
At $15.00 that's too much, maybe for WE.
I think maybe you are right, he asks big bucks, hoping to get some sucker to offer 1/2 thinking they are getting a deal.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

andre_janew

Someone is now asking $80 for a red WE500 modular phone from the 1970s!  It is an outrage!

paul-f

Quote from: andre_janew on July 21, 2015, 06:33:56 PM
Someone is now asking $80 for a red WE500 modular phone from the 1970s!  It is an outrage!

Maybe. Maybe not.

What's the condition?

There are several on-line sellers that seem to routinely get more than this for refurbed sets with full warranty. Some even have new "generic" plastics. There's apparently a market out there.  Most of us are obviusly not part of it, but it's there.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: paul-f on July 21, 2015, 07:21:05 PM

Maybe. Maybe not.

What's the condition?

There are several on-line sellers that seem to routinely get more than this for refurbed sets with full warranty. Some even have new "generic" plastics. There's apparently a market out there.  Most of us are obviusly not part of it, but it's there.
I would rather pay $10 for a plain phone in bad shape, restore it by myself, and proudly say I restored it after buying it for cheap, than grudgingly admit that you got ripped off on the same plain phone that you didn't restore.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

poplar1

Please provide photo and/or Ebay link.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

Red almost always seems to sell for a premium.

A quick search for $80 red 500s turned up two phones, a nice '55 refurb sold and a fully modular for sale. Same seller. For the non-collector who wants a nice, clean working phone, these both fit that buy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Red-Western-Electric-Bell-System-500-Rotary-Desk-Telephone-Restored-Nice-/331600847179
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-Red-Western-Electric-Bell-System-500-Rotary-Desk-Telephone-Restored-Works-/231626196734

And, unfortunately, being a topic that was started in 2009, all of the links posted back then are today dead with respect to the discussion of what ever they were talking about. Always good to post an image along with a link so when the link goes dead, the conversation still has meaning to anyone who many years later finds it for one reason or another.

WEBellSystemChristian

Oh, this seller!

He constantly adds ITT plastics to a mid-50s 500 chassis, and titles it as, say, a 1955 Yellow Western Electric 500, but avoidingly mentions in the description as having non original plastics.

BTW, he has a '52 500 with the early small-font Operator dial bezel. I don't know how original it is other than that, but it was something in the neighborhood of $100 IIRC.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

andre_janew

He is now selling some amplified handsets (G-6) for $24.95 each.  I have one of those in black.  I wonder if I could get that much for it. 
Hmmmm.

www.ebay.com/sch/decomorrobay/m.html?

TelePlay

Quote from: andre_janew on August 10, 2015, 03:10:07 PM
He is now selling some amplified handsets (G-6) for $24.95 each.  I have one of those in black.  I wonder if I could get that much for it. 
Hmmmm.

www.ebay.com/sch/decomorrobay/m.html?

Click on sold, or the link below, and see what he's getting. Lowest price was $24 up to $180. Someone is buying,  . . . .    something . . . . .

http://www.ebay.com/sch/decomorrobay/m.html?LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684