News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Recent finds

Started by HowardPgh, April 14, 2012, 04:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HowardPgh

Here are two "new" phones in my collection.
The 40  has a felt bottom and a Butler handle. The handset caps are grooved like the metal bands.  Inside it is the older type with the metal piece to mount the dial and the condenser terminals are soldered in  rather than being terminated at screw terminals.
The 34 has a 25~ ringer.
Howard

bushman

Nice phones, but I think the 40 would look better without the butler handle.  I can take it off your hands if you want.   ;) ;)

Bushman

AE_Collector

Nice finds Howard!

Might be good to enter them in this months "Find of the Month", especially if you got them for a relatively low price. Getting a Butlers handle on the 40 Along with the grooved bakelite caps is a good deal as well. Not many of them show up. I don't think they made them for long. They started with the 40/50 caps having metel bands like the 34/35 did but most were black painted brass and a few were chromed. Then they eliminated the metal bands unless it was going to be the chromed band model (or the gold plated version of course) and cut the grooves into the bakelite. That didn't last lng and they went to the smooth sided caps. I'm sure the war had a lot to do with eliminating the metal bands as the AE 40/50 came out in about 1938 or 39, maybe 1940 for the AE 50.

Terry

HowardPgh

I was curious about the felt bottom on the 40, was that normal at one time or was that an option.  Most AE phones, I have seen or had, had the rubber ring around the base.
Would $100 for the pair (local pickup) qualify as a  Find of the Month?
Howard

Doug Rose

Quote from: HowardPgh on April 16, 2012, 10:09:03 AM
I was curious about the felt bottom on the 40, was that normal at one time or was that an option.  Most AE phones, I have seen or had, had the rubber ring around the base.
Would $100 for the pair (local pickup) qualify as a  Find of the Month?
Howard....Without a doubt, a real good deal.. The AE34 is worth all of that and then some. The butler handle is a beauty. I would chrome the AE40 to match the butler handle. Get chrome bands and chrome finger wheel, retainer ring and plungers. Two beautiful phones that look so much alike, but next to each other you do spot the differences....Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Consensus seems to be that the felt bases are primarily on some the earlier AE 40's and it is most likely a war time measure as rubber became hard to get initially and then extremely scarce with hostilities in the Pacific.

Terry

HowardPgh

Doug-This is my chrome 40 that I already have.
Howard

Doug Rose

Beautiful! I'd swap the Butler handle to this Chromed AE40. It would be a killer....Doug
Kidphone