News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I'm getting a new old phone and wonder what you think

Started by ntophones, November 06, 2009, 11:47:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

You might test out some cleaning methods on the CENTER of the dial plate within the retaining ring.  That way if something goes wrong, or if the date information wipes away, you won't have damaged anything that's visible.  I'd start out with nothing but a soft cloth dampened with water, and if that doesn't work, maybe try a bit of gentle soap.   
= DARRIN =

ntophones

Great idea about the center part. I will try that. I'm thinking I'll have to use some sort of soap, since it is a greasy looking bit of junk on it.
I'll let you know how it turns out!
--nto

rp2813

I would not use any liquid on the dial face plate.  Maybe a microfiber cloth would clean it up well enough.  I have your same phone including the celluloid dial plate and brass fingerwheel.  The celluloid plates just aren't as white as the porcelain ones and are easily identified.  Be very careful with yours.

My advice is to keep the F1 transmitter arrangement.  The older/original "bullet" type transmitters are vastly inferior and you'll grow tired of having to repeat yourself to frustrated distant parties.  The look of the spitcup is maintained but transmission quality passes for a modern day land line phone.   This was an upgrade applied to many E1 handsets for a while by Western Electric both in the field and during refurbishing until at some point WECo started pulling the E1's out  of service when they found them.  I converted my "bullet" to F1 (using my oldest transmitter from 5/36) and am very happy with the results.  Play with the adjusting ring and the spitcup until you get the spitcup lined up properly.  It'll take some tries.   Don't tighten anything down further than just with your fingers.  Did I miss why you had to use the chipped spitcup?  They should be interchangeable, seam or no seam.

You got a really beautifully equipped phone there.  Congratulations!

Ralph
Ralph

ntophones

Thanks, Ralph, for all the info.
I sent my dial to Steve Hilsz. I asked him to try and clean the plate, but, I emailed him what you said.
By the way, I read that sunlight will bring some of the white back into celluloid.

The spitcup came chipped, but was not listed on Ebay. I'll decide whether to replace it after Christmas is over....
Thanks for your help.

Right now, I'm trying to paint, but, really am not having much luck. It looks pitted. I don't know how to get the metal smooth enough.
So, I'm getting ready to strip what I did yesterday and just start over, I think. :'(. Ah, well...
--nto

bingster

Bondo is not just for cars anymore!  If you have serious pitting that can't be corrected by sandpaper, just get one of those tiny jars of bondo, fill the pits with it, and then sand smooth.
= DARRIN =

ntophones

Well, I'm thinking that sanding may do the trick! I almost bought the bondo, and if my enamel is not smooth enough,
I'll start again and go that route. I'm really hoping that this will take care of it.
I bought some different sandpaper. Right now, I've just finished another primer coat and will sand that tomorrow.
After I sand that down, I'll go with the color. I'm thinking I just might have it this time, though. If not, surely, third time will be a charm!
nto
--nto

bingster

That's the great thing about refinishing a metal phone.  It doesn't matter how bad it turns out, you can easily strip it off and start over.  You'll get it, though, so don't get discouraged.  You're going to have a phone you can be really proud of.
= DARRIN =

ntophones

Well, I primed, sanded to a smooth finish, and repainted. Now, it looks like it did before I redid it.
Dang. Do you think that after about 1 week, I can use a Novus #2 or #3 to buff it smooth and shiny?
I'm hoping it looks black enough, too. I'm using Krylon Black Glossy. Hopefully, it will work.

Foots, if you are still around, could you update us on your phone that you are repainting?
Thanks,
nto
--nto

Phonesrfun

On the Kellogg I did, I was able to start sanding and Novusing after about 48 hours, and that was air drying without baking in the oven.

But, different paints are different.  Probably depends on whether you are using enamel or laquer paint.
-Bill G

bingster

It's kind of rare that you get a glass-smooth finish from spray paint.  The painting is just one step in the process, with smoothing the paint coming after.  Think of car restoration--They never spray the paint on and then call the car finished.  The paint is buffed out until it's smooth and glassy.  Bill's Kellogg post is a great read to see this process, so be sure to check that out.
= DARRIN =

ntophones

Thanks, that makes me feel much better!
Yeah--I'm going to follow his example and try polishing in a day or so.
I really appreciate your help--you guys are the best.
--nto

ntophones

Here are some pictures of my newly painted phone.
--nto

Dennis Markham

Nto, that's a great looking phone.  You did a very nice job on it.  Congratulations!

ntophones

--nto

bingster

You got the dial back already?  That was quick!  The phone looks great, and the dial card is a nice one, too. 
= DARRIN =