News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another Fire To Put Out

Started by 19and41, September 29, 2019, 08:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

Now to get some fish tape and get the power laid out to where I'm going to put up the outdoor cameras.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Dan/Panther

Quote from: 19and41 on October 04, 2019, 06:08:51 PM
Now to get some fish tape and get the power laid out to where I'm going to put up the outdoor cameras.

Make sure they don't watch you put the cameras up.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

19and41

There is no way around it.  When the kids are at school the folks are home not working.  I have to rely on the spite and stupidity of the kids, to be followed by the repellence value of the cameras.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Key2871

In that case put it high and out of reach.. I know you know that already.. Good luck.
KEN

19and41

The camera that works with the OOMA system has been a surprise.  It has watched my house each evening while at work and can be called up online to view the area in real time.  I had an idea to put a large velcro patch on it's front with a hole for the lens and autofocus windows and a corresponding patch on 1 pane on my front window.  that provided a very secure mount for the camera and it delivered a picture postcard quality image of the cul de sac that I can see better than the naked eye.  I have ordered another OOMA camera and will go for the full monitoring service at 9.99/mo.  It should be a great stopgap til I get the wireless cameras mounted.

https://my-beta.ooma.com/products/hm_smart_cam

I buy mine NOS and pay about a 1/3 the listed price.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Key2871

Great idea, I'm being told. For my neighbor good I need to look into wireless cameras so I can monitor certain areas.
That's good to know. Good luck on your venture.
KEN

19and41

To use these you need to have OOMA service.  I bought my telo device on Ebay cheaply and the cameras as well  I can give advice if you want to go that route.
— Arthur C. Clarke

FABphones

It is all sounding good. Am very much into CCTV, have even put it into the bird boxes.  ::)

Glad to read you are getting sorted.

(The link you posted goes to ooma login/account).
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

19and41

This should be info on the smart cam.
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

This is my camera over the front door, a Ctronics somethingorother, it's a wired camera so needs to be physically connected to a router indoors, uses the ONVIF IP camera standard for communicating to devices, and I use a program on my "server" called GeniusVision (which is a pain in the butt to set up!) to act as the NVR (Networked Video Recorder), I did buy a 2nd camera to put up on the other side of the house, a "Sricam" branded thing, but it proved to be utterly useless at anything, so it's just the one for now, probably for as long as I live here really... :)

Key2871

Yes, I understand that ooma is needed. My point was that's a great idea to have something like that to keep an eye on your property.
KEN

19and41

Well, I finally had some time and weather to put up my first outdoor camera.  After more careful study, Mounting the camera above my garage door worked better than mounting it so the wiring would have to be brought through the attic.  As it was it was 1 hole to pass through the two beams above it and then a quite secure place to mount the camera with a bit of protection from the weather's full force.  Here's the camera and the picture on it's monitor/recorder.

— Arthur C. Clarke

Key2871

Good work, hope this helps you catch these kids.
KEN

FABphones

Here is a daft sounding but handy tip for cleaning the webs from in front of the camera lens without having to climb up a ladder every time. Gaffatape a fluffy duster onto the end of a long rod (a bean cane or similar).

Another tip: When cleaning the camera lens use Spider-eX (or similar) to deter the spiders from returning too quickly. It is a repellent, doesn't harm the spider (but don't spray it directly onto them), or the camera. Clean the camera first, then apply. It will need reapplying every few months.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

19and41

Thanks for the tips, nothing is silly if it works.  I have a webster on a 10 ft. telescoping pole.  It gets the webs around the house also.  If you clean it well afterwards, it does a great job on the trash container.  It looks like until the cold weather takes hold, the flying insects around the camera tripping the motion detector.

Here is webster.

— Arthur C. Clarke