News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Repro's

Started by wds, November 06, 2010, 09:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Can anyone tell me for sure if these two phones are the real thing or repros?  The candlestick has the markings of a repro, large print on the back of the transmitter bell, rivet on the receiver cradle.  What about the A1?  Lately I've been trying to identify repro's from the real thing, but sometimes it's hard to tell.  Can anyone help point out the obvious signs that these are repro's?

http://tinyurl.com/2bb8kt4

http://tinyurl.com/2avz6g2

Dave

Dan/Panther

20 views of your post and no responses, tells me it's a tough call. The first phone I would guess may not be authentic, the second one looks to be original but reconditioned. Being both from same seller whether real or fakes, they are probably both the same. I really don't know AE stuff that well.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Adam

Well... I'm not a Western Electric candlestick expert by any means, but that's not a Western Electric dial.  That would be a red flag, wouldn't it?
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

ESalter

I also noticed the back of the perch isn't stamped with the model number, which seems odd to me.  Another way I've heard to tell is to look at the grommet style where the cords enter the stick.  None of the photos seem to show that.  Hiding something or just coincidence?  I'm not a stick expert at all, those are just my first reactions to looking at the photos.  No clue at all about the AE desk phone, I don't know anything about them.

---Eric

Russ Kirk

I would hate to be the one to throw water on one's excitement,  but my opinion is they are both fakes. Or 90% not real.  

Here is a great link to help ID repro candlestick and wood phones.

http://oldphoneman.com/Fakes.htm

I would not get these even if they we $10,  my 9 other candlesticks would beat it up and kick it out of the house.

Russ..

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Jester

The dial indicates that the phone is not authentic, but it's the brass parts that give it away as being a repro.  Original stick castings are rough, requiring alot of sanding to make the surface smooth.  This one has the appearance of being smooth cast, and it also looks like it has never been painted.  Also notice there is no badge on the transmitter housing-- another clue.
Stephen

Phonesrfun

I vote fake or at the very least, a frankenphone.
-Bill G

wds

I'm not an AE expert either, but the candlestick seems to have all the markings of being a fake.  As far as the A1, the handset just doesn't have the appearance of a 60-70 year old handset, and I know there are lots of fakes out there.  Thanks for your feedback!
Dave

rdelius

Both mostly repro.The monophone handset is origional but the base is a repro candlestick base with a repro cast cradle. The short cradle was never brass but the tall one sometimes was brass or bronze.
The stick appears to have an origional kellogg rec but the brass appears to be new.
Robby

Phonesrfun

BTW, AE had 1A, and Western Electric had A1.

-Bill G

JorgeAmely

AE never made brass finished phones.
Jorge

AE_Collector

Sellers name says it all "Vintage Looks".

Terry