News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

repro candle stick ringer not working??

Started by axil, November 27, 2012, 12:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

axil

I have this reproduction bonnie & clyde series candle stick phone and everything works fine except the ringer.
Does anyone have any idea on how or what the problem might be?

Owain

Are you sure it has a ringer? Many of the candlesticks don't as there isn't enough room.

axil

from what I read the ring is not a bell ringing type, but rather a more ticking / click-clack electronic sound.
thx dave

AE_Collector

Dave:

Get us a picture of the inside of the base. Someone wil lbe able to recognize if there is an "Alerter" (Nortel name for a non mechanical ringer) in there.

Terry

AE_Collector

Nothing there that is obvious to me as a noise maker. Unless there is something under the metal plate to the laft side of the picture, between the circuit board and the big induction coil. Maybe someone else is more familiar with this phone, there are lots of them around.

Terry

axil

Quote from: AE_collector on November 27, 2012, 02:17:08 PM
Nothing there that is obvious to me as a noise maker. Unless there is something under the metal plate to the laft side of the picture, between the circuit board and the big induction coil. Maybe someone else is more familiar with this phone, there are lots of them around.

Terry

thx Terry

here's what is under the metal.

AE_Collector

Hard to say for sure but from what I can see it could easily be a coil for a buzzer. Are there 2 wires connected to the coil somewhere?

Terry

axil

Quote from: AE_collector on November 27, 2012, 02:37:07 PM
Hard to say for sure but from what I can see it could easily be a coil for a buzzer. Are there 2 wires connected to the coil somewhere?

Terry

yes on the top 2 black wires

AE_Collector

Looks like the end of the coil to the left side in the picture is mounted via a piece spring steel so that it can move. The coil attracts and releases the end plate casuing a buzzing or vibrating noise when AC ringing voltage is present. Now all that we have t odo is figure why it isn't doing anything! With the phone connected to a ringing phone line and your finger carefully on the end plate of the buzzer, do you feel any attempt at movement?

Terry

axil

I tried that and had no movement at all...here's another angle(pic), looks like a cylinder is being pushed in and out against a round plate which vibrates against another adjustable peice which hangs over when working.

AE_Collector

That is a better angle. The plate on the right (armature) pulls in against the round centre post of the electromagnet when there is ringing voltage present. I would say that piece of metal sticking out to the far right is bent out too far. It should be holding the vibrating plate a lot closer but not touching to the centre post of the electromagnet. Give that a try.

Terry

axil

Quote from: AE_collector on November 27, 2012, 04:22:40 PM
That is a better angle. The plate on the right (armature) pulls in against the round centre post of the electromagnet when there is ringing voltage present. I would say that piece of metal sticking out to the far right is bent out too far. It should be holding the vibrating plate a lot closer but not touching to the centre post of the electromagnet. Give that a try.

Terry

tried that doesn't seem like ther is ringing voltage present??

Owain

where do the black wires go to at the other end? Is ringing (or any) voltage present? Can you test across the black wires (disconnected from anything else) for continuity?

HarrySmith

I agree the metal piece on the end is bent out of shape. It is hard to tell from that angle but there appears to be a slot in the other piece near the bottom it maybe is supposed to slip into?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"