News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

HELP Metal North 5/39 Handset Dead HELP

Started by Doug Rose, January 12, 2014, 11:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I need your help again, I have a beautiful North Metal Galion......amazing condition. All original cords and perfect paint, all dates match. Frequency ringer, but it does ring. When I answer, North goes off hook...nothing in the handset. When I bring DT to the handset itself, works no problem. I replaced the coil, then the condenser. Still no handset. Pics of inside, what am I missing? I usually have no issues with a North. I don' want to change out the hookswitch harness and ruin a 75 year old phone....HELP!!....thanks....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Doug....just a wild guess without looking any deeper.  Is there a transmitter piece inside the handset?  I frustrated myself once with a similar problem and didn't realize I had not replaced the transmitter inside the handset cup.

Kenton K

I once had a similar problem with a 302. On mines, I wired up the dial blank incorrectly. I can't really tell in the picture, but that is a start.

Ken

poplar1

If you move the white receiver lead to GN on the induction coil, do you now have dial tone? This bypasses the green (on GN) and white (on 2) switchhook leads.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

thanks guys ...done for the day.

David, I will try that next time. Beautiful phone, but I wasted three hours on it. Paint is amazing....Doug
Kidphone

Matilo Telephones

3 hrs! Doug, man, I feel your pain!

Very nice Phone, by the way.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

poplar1

Doug,

3 hours without a break? (Do they still not sell beer on Sunday in MA?)

In both the North and in the 302, it may be helpful to note the following: when the phone is off-hook, and the dial (if any) is at rest, the receiver (white) eventually connects to GN, the transmitter (black) to L2Y, and the common (red) to R. The condenser connects to C (red) and L2Y (black). The above is the end result after passing through the switchhook contacts and the dial pulsing contacts (and, in the case of a WE dial, the normally closed BB and W contacts).

So, you could always start with the handset and condenser connect as above, and, if you have dial tone and can transmit, and have monitor with the transmitter out,  add the other parts one at a time to isolate the problem.

The diagram inside the phone is probably not how it's wired. The older North circuit used the switchhook to open both sides of the line, had the black talking condenser always connected to the line, and no provision to eliminate the click when hanging up. I believe yours was rewired the "improved" way that is more like a 302.

Reference
Addendum C32.505 Issue 1, 5-31-46;
C32.505 Issue 1, 12-3-45 Provisional

Note: In the addendum, which includes instructions for the improved connections, they left out a step in 3.01. It should include:

(7) Remove white conductor of hand set cord from GN of induction coil and connect it to Terminal 2 on terminal block.

Doug Rose

There was some cleanup in the three hours and I was started in the early AM.  ;D Only place I can be losing DT is the hks as I get it connected directly to the handset no issues and I changed out the coil and the condenser.

I got frustrated so it's a good time to stop before temper sets in.  Watching football and there is beer. Cooked a great Porterhouse on the grill just before it was to dark to see. RARE! Rooting for the Chargers, but I am just thinking of myself....thanks all....its a pleasure to have the Forum. ...Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

In that case, it's either one or both green and white wires to the switchhook are broken, unsoldered or badly crimped; or the contacts aren't making. Temporary fix is to leave the white rec. wire on GN.

Doug Rose

Ken was correct, the dial blank was wired incorrectly. Thanks Ken and David for your help....Doug
Kidphone

Kenton K

No problemo. Glad I could help you with on that beautiful Galion. That pristine condition is certainly a gem.
It will display very nicely.

-KK