News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Panasonic PBX

Started by HarrySmith, February 13, 2015, 09:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

If anyone is looking for one just stumbled across a reasonably priced one on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261654270921

Only $59.99 with FREE shipping!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Fabius

And a 30 day warranty. Not a bad deal if you don't mind the discoloration.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

TelePlay

Quote from: Fabius on February 13, 2015, 11:00:43 PM
And a 30 day warranty. Not a bad deal if you don't mind the discoloration.

. . . and possibly a pig in a poke ( "As this is a multiple quantity listing, the unit you receive may not be the unit pictured." )

They had 8, sold 6 two remaining.

The photo above is obviously not the same unit as shown in the first listing photo below, the one with the major crack.

At least one of them, maybe all are Series 3.

And, at least one of them comes with the elusive white, plastic battery cover . . .  ;)

dsk

;D And you don't know how good the buy is, because you live in the USA  :(

Since it is impossible to get them here, its still a good buy at nearly $150 including shipping and tax  :'(

In addition I will need a transformer to step down to 120v

;D On the other hand, home is here, and I don't want to move  ;)

dsk

twocvbloke

Quote from: dsk on February 14, 2015, 02:26:39 AM;D On the other hand, home is here, and I don't want to move  ;)

You could always get a UK version, plenty of them on ebay at the moment, though I'm not sure about whether they'll post it to Norway or not...  ;D

zaphod01

I have a Panasonic 616 for free to a good home. Just pay the shipping (US only, sorry). I switched to an Xlink and the 616 has been sitting in my closet ever since. I have the Panasonic control phone too but I don't recall the model number.

PM me if interested and I'll dig it out for pictures.

Robert
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

zaphod01

"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

Sargeguy

I just purchased the last one.  I have a 308 that I use when I go to my annual antique show and for testing but I need something to power the entire collection.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Greg G.

Quote from: zaphod01 on February 14, 2015, 11:31:09 AM
I have a Panasonic 616 for free to a good home. Just pay the shipping (US only, sorry). I switched to an Xlink and the 616 has been sitting in my closet ever since. I have the Panasonic control phone too but I don't recall the model number.

PM me if interested and I'll dig it out for pictures.

Robert

I once had my 308 PBX running through my Xlink:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2592.msg35577#msg35577
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Sargeguy

Mine arrived yesterday, took about 2 days to get here.  Now I need to figure out what to do with it!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

Quote from: Sargeguy on February 19, 2015, 12:09:02 PM
Mine arrived yesterday, took about 2 days to get here.  Now I need to figure out what to do with it!

Hook up your land line on CO1, your VOIP on CO2 and your C*NET on CO3. Then your phones, old and modern, on the extensions. Don't want to run wiring? Use cordless phones.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

I don't have either VOIP or C*NET.  I gave up cordless years ago.   My only TT is a 1500.  I was thinking whether or not to leave my current wiring in place and add this on to it, or hook up all my phones to it.  Or maybe keep one phone hooked up to the line in case something goes wrong with the PBX.  Can a single malfunctioning phone (I'm thinking of something like a 20-S with cut-out switch attached to a 297 type subset for instance) tie up the entire PBX?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

unbeldi

Quote from: Sargeguy on February 19, 2015, 01:07:29 PM
I don't have either VOIP or C*NET.  I gave up cordless years ago.   My only TT is a 1500.  I was thinking whether or not to leave my current wiring in place and add this on to it, or hook up all my phones to it.  Or maybe keep one phone hooked up to the line in case something goes wrong with the PBX.  Can a single malfunctioning phone (I'm thinking of something like a 20-S with cut-out switch attached to a 297 type subset for instance) tie up the entire PBX?

In case you loose mains power or when you simply turn the power on the PBX off, the internal relays in the unit directly connect station port 1 (extension 11) to CO1, port 2 (12) to CO2 and so forth.  So there is little to be worried about if anything goes wrong with the PBX. Connect the telephone that you would want to use on the CO line directly to the corresponding station port and you have best of both worlds.

Each station port on the PBX has power overload protection, but this has only meaning when a proprietary Panasonic phone is connected.  There is very little that any phone can do to RING and TIP (center two pins on the modular jack)  to make the PBX misbehave. Shorting it is the equivalent to dialing usually, and cases no harm.  Injecting ringing voltage should also be harmless as the circuit is already designed to withstand that when the PBX rings out, but it's not quite the same. In addition there is some protection on the ports, as this may well be a common wiring mistake that was anticipated.

compubit

Also, if I understand correctly ports 1-8 are separate from 9-16, as I've seen some other discussions where half of the ports work, but the other half don't. 

You could plug your questionable phones into 9-16, so that if you ever needed to program, port 1 (where all programming must be done from) is operational.

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Nick in Manitou

Just in case the seller of the unit at the top of this thread gets any more to sell, I should mention that they treated me very well.  I purchased one of these units and it turned out to have trouble in the ringing circuit.  They had tested it, but only to ensure that there was a dial tone at each port.  I can dial out with a rotary phone, but incoming calls will not ring with a mechanical ringer.

I contacted the seller and they very quickly and pleasantly refunded my money.

Just figured that I would put in a good word for them. 

The story of my purchase and efforts to make the system work starts here:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1116.msg140682#msg140682