News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ringer Box identification

Started by Gary, January 16, 2011, 01:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

I've got an old wooden ringer box with practically no markings on it.  Is there any way to identify who this was made by?  It has a three bar magneto and the door hinges are on the right.  The only markings are a number 10 stamped on the bottom inside of the door and at the base of the cabinet.  The other marking is on the magneto and says PATD. Dec. 23, 1884.  It rings when cranked and shows about 60VAC.

rdelius

The magneto is a Western Electric one.See if the magneto holes are origional to the box. The box might be a WE type 21 top box with a replaced ringer .
Robby

Gary

Thanks Robby...the magneto mounting screw does not line up with what appear to be the original mounting holes in the bottom of the box.  Here are two more shots of the bottom and back.  The box measures (outer) 5 1/4 x 8, the backboard measures 5 7/8 x 9 3/4 and the door measures 5 1/2 x 8 1/4.  The hinges also have a marking of PATD. Dec. 25, 94

Sargeguy

To my inexperienced eye it looks like an older Western Electric box, some of the hardware is identical to that used on the later phones I have.  The door was hinged on the other side in later sets. I am not familiar with the ringer. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Gary

ok, great....thanks for the help!  This was thrown into a lot of a few telephones I bought a few months back.