"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Special dial, last pulse longer

Started by dsk, May 13, 2009, 04:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

Hi

I have a wall telephone made for use with the WE 7A excange shipped from USA to oslo 1918.
This phone has a longer last pulse, giving the excange a false hook flash.

Do you know anything about this system, the local older phone men are dead or...

Thank you
dsk
newbie ;)

contraste

I don't know anything about your special dial I'm afraid but from one newbie to another -

Welcome.

I'm sure some one will be able to help you, the guys on this forum are very knowledgeable and always ready and willing to help.

mienaichizu

that's a technical problem sorry I can't help you, maybe the others can answer your problem
anyway, welcome dsk

dsk

This is actually no problem, more a lack of know-how. :)
This exchange was the first ordered to Norway, and had a reverce dial, like NZ. This was sold as a new standard in 9113, and should probably have been used in USA too.
Due to WW1 and export regulations during the war, this was delivered late.
As far as I know simular exchanges to europe was made in Antwerpen, but this was made in USA.
(The ships log-book is read by one of the emploiees of the Norwegian telecom museum) They dont know about why the excange was like this, the exchange is partly still in working condition as it was after a modification in 1939. (approx)

Thank you all, and if you know anything, or have any hints about this types of exchanges, please tell me.

dsk

McHeath

Welcome d_s_k.  I know hardly anything about phones and nothing at all about exchange equipment, so I'm not much help here. 

Like those dials with the numbers reversed from our American pattern, that would be an interesting phone to have. 

HobieSport

I've always wondered which countries and phone manufactures made and used reverse dials, and was that consistent throughout those countries?  If it wasn't consistent, it seems like it could be confusing...

DSK, Hello and it's good to have another member from Europe. I'm interested in classic phones from all over, from the 1930s to the 1960s.