News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Flea Market Western Electric Haul

Started by njh621, September 06, 2014, 07:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njh621

A few weeks ago, I visited a flea market back home. (I've been going to this place for years, long before I could handle a soldering iron.) I was hoping I might be able to find a black 554 for my apartment phone system, or maybe some 1A2 gear. I wasn't having much luck, until I spotted a seller who appeared to have a 554. When I got closer, my jaw dropped: not only was it a black Western Electric 554, it was a no-dial hotline variant!

I asked what he wanted for it. "Oh...uh, how 'bout $2?" The money could not fly out of my wallet fast enough. He also had a beige Western Electric 500 and a peach-colored Princess. Total investment for all three phones: $4. Admittedly they are a little rough in some spots (thus my parts wanted post in the classifieds): the Princess base is corroded and missing the lamp holder, the 554 hookswitch is pitted, and the 500 has a very dirty cord and rusted base. BUT that's still a lot of Western Electric for a mere $4. If nothing else, the hotline 554 made it worthwhile.

WEBellSystemChristian

Very nice finds, especially for the price! I like the ivory 500, since I have a weakness for the open-center dials! ::) Is there a date on the base?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

njh621

The baseplate has a bit of rust, but the date is still visible: 9-64. The dial label in the center shows an area code of 216, which originally covered all of Northeastern Ohio (where I'm from).

kleinkaliber

You did good! As was said, the soft center dial is the icing on the cake.

WesternElectricBen

Very nice, I bet I could find you a couple parts that you need.

Ben

njh621

Ben, if you can scrounge up the parts I'm happy to do business.

-Nick

DentonRotary

Beautiful! I think I need to go to bigger flea markets...