News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Took a Gamble: Color 302?

Started by Kenton K, September 29, 2014, 07:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

Let me add my congraduations. Incredible how you spotted it.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

WEBellSystemChristian

Congratulations!

Remember what I told you now, and the paint should come off well!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

LarryInMichigan

Wow.  Who would have thought?

I think that oven cleaner might dissolve the paint without damaging the plastic, but test it first.

Larry

WEBellSystemChristian

[quote
Quote from: LarryInMichigan on October 04, 2014, 09:22:58 PM
Wow.  Who would have thought?

I think that oven cleaner might dissolve the paint without damaging the plastic, but test it first.

Larry
The
The
Larry
[/quote]I've tried Oven Cleaner, but it takes layers of plastic off.
Christian Petterson

tell302man

WOW!!! Congrats on your find!!!!!

Kenton K

Thanks guys. The only reason I spotted it was because of the knowledge I learned from all of you! So thank you!

And about the brown paint, this is what I think happened to the beautiful red 302: Sometime long ago, a really artistic owner decided maroon was better than red. Using brush on paint, a lovely thick coat of maroon was applied. The artist then decided that maroon wasn't good enough, and applied many water decals, like tattoos types. But then, after realizing they made a terrible mistake, they found a matte black rattle can to cover up all the mistakes. And that's the epic tale of a Peking red 302.

Ken

AE40FAN

Can't wait for the after photos ;D

Kenton K

Here are some in progress photos. Super clean works pretty well, however, it does discolor the plastic slightly after prolonged soaking. Novus did remove it though. Just A little more!!!

Kk

-----------------------

EDIT:  rotated image 180°

Babybearjs

good luck on the restoration.... never seen anyone painting a red phone black..... could W.E. have run out of black and used a red one in its place?? Hmmm....
John

Doug Rose

Ken....looks amazing so far. Is this what you used?....Doug
Kidphone

Sargeguy

I had a Pekin Red handset that had been painted black.  It did not have Bell System markings. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

WEBellSystemChristian

It's coming along great, Kenton!

Doug, I'm pretty sure he used this:
Christian Petterson

Dennis Markham

Christian, is that not the same product that Doug posted?  Just in a different container?

Kenton, it's looking good.  I've been waiting for photos.  This is definitely a fun project for you.  Congratulations again on your "eagle eye" in spotting this.

~Dennis

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Dennis Markham on October 11, 2014, 12:38:01 PM
Christian, is that not the same product that Doug posted?  Just in a different container?

~Dennis
Well, yes, it is, but it's just that you need to completely submerge the housing in the solution, and the gallon container will get the job done better than the spray bottle will. ;D

I should have clarified that he probably used a different container for the same product, rather than a completely different product.
Christian Petterson