News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Phone Haul....wood phones....pay station......

Started by John S, October 12, 2014, 05:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

Hi!

I recently came across some cool old phones.  Most of them are older wood phones.  There is a cool gray pay station...That is my fav out of the bunch!  Some miscellaneous parts.  One of the wood phone earpiece has the terminals.  One thing that caught my eye is is a box, it has a glass door, and a telegraph transmitter.  I don't know if it was home made, but its has a lot of wire and mechanism inside it.   I was hoping someone would know what it was used for.  Its really cool.  I took some pictures.  The pay station stays in my collection for sure.  Its really cool.  I attach some pictures.  Maybe someone can give me some ideas.  Thanks guys!

John S.

John S

More pictures...

TelePlay

Very nice find. What did it cost and where or how did you find it/them?

WEBellSystemChristian

I have no idea how it took me this long to find this topic, but, wow, nice finds! I'm very envious of that 3 slot. That's something almost no one can help but drool over!!! ;)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

dsk

I didn't see it my selves. A really nice haul! of coarse the payphone had been nice to have, but my technical interests are focusing on the cabinet. Does the clockwork have a motor, or do you have to wind it up?  could we please get more pictures, especially of this one?

dsk

John S

Morning,

I attached some more pictures.  I does not wind up.  I sent pictures to a musuem and they are looking into.  They sent me some feedback, their thoughts.  "it was used for servants for wealthy people"  It was used for railroad"  it was some prototype...homemade......its a cool piece....very unusual.  Check out the pics.....

rdelius

That wooden telegraph device might be the station end of a firebox alarm system.(Gamewell)

AE_Collector

Great haul John! Where did you find all this stuff?

It looks like possible Find of the Month material.

Terry

John S

Thank you!

I got that all in Michigan when I went to visit my parents. My dad told me about them.  They were listed on a paper ad.  He was a collector and wanted to part with them.  I love the pay station...............

John

Doug Rose

John...are you going to tell us how much you invested? The price is as important as what you got...Doug
Kidphone

John S

Yes, I paid 365.00 for everything.  I had to work hard to get that deal.  I think it was a great investment.  The pay station is really cool!  Its heavy, chrome and works.  Will keep a few others as I go through them. 

John

Doug Rose

Did you wear a mask?  8)   The Payhpone is worth well over that. Nice job...you done good....Doug
Kidphone

Sargeguy

Can you post more pics of that fiddleback? :o  The unpainted one I mean.  Are there any markings on it?  That looks like a #242 transmitter arm on an early TYPE 85.   What is the transmitter number?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

John S

Here are some more pictures.  I took close up/the markings.  Its hard to see with the cam.  I see
TYPE 85E.  Overall its in NICE shape.  When I opened the inside, the original dial card, mouthpiece ring, and plastic covering were inside.  I think it might be walnut. 

John