News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Today's find - AECo Chrome 3 Slot Payphone

Started by tell302man, September 09, 2012, 02:37:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tell302man

I found this in a little antique shop in Bluefield WV today. Lots of old buildings and old houses there. It looks to me like it is new old stock.I thought 75 dollars was a good deal. These are before and after I cleaned it up.

tell302man

After cleaning

Greg G.

I took the liberty of rotating your pics.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

tell302man

Thanks I am still figuring this out. Sorry

Greg G.

Depending on your camera, you can rotate them using the camera's functions, or what I do is rotate them using a graphic processor after I transfer them to my computer.  In your case, I d/l them, then rotated them, then uploaded them again.  After looking at them again, I think you had a duplicate "after" pic.

Anyway, as for the phone, I'm not into payphones (yet), so I don't know a whole lot about them, but it sounds like you got a good deal, especially if the key came with it.  Does it work?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

That was a great deal!  I think that a phone in that condition could sell for $300-$400.

Larry

tell302man

Not sure if it works yet. I know it is new old stock. It has never been used.

allineedislove

Do you have an extra vault door key?. I hav one phone similar to yours but I don't have a key.

AE_Collector

Quote from: allineedislove on September 10, 2012, 08:11:26 PM
Do you have an extra vault door key?. I hav one phone similar to yours but I don't have a key.

Key and Lock Oscar....Every vault door key is different.

Terry

allineedislove

Do you know how can I open the vault door from the back o fthe phone?

poplar1

Western Electric and Northern Electric: remove the 7 screws on the back of the phone; then remove the back.

Automatic Electric: more difficult since two of the screws are coming from inside the phone. Remove the ones that unscrew from the back; then you will have to drill out the other two.

All: If there is no coin box inside, you can then unscrew the vault lock from the rear.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE_Collector

Apparently it is quite often possible to remove the final two screws in an AE 3 slot with a drill but not by drilling it out, just drill slowly and the bit will usually catch on the metal bolt enough to unscrew it. So i have heard on the forums at least.

Terry

Sargeguy

Automatic Electric Payphones were often refurbished and sold to consumers back in the 70s, so its probably not a NOS payphone.  Still an excellent deal.  Can you plug it and get it to work?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

stub

tell302man ,
                   SWEEEEEEET !!!!!!!!!!!!!! You got a great deal!  If you get a chance open it up and post pics of the insides . stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

tell302man

I will post a pic of the inside this evening.