News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Train Depot Phone Hoard found back in 2003

Started by kleenax, October 18, 2012, 03:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kleenax

Since Terry posted those photos of "Brinys"? workshop, I couldn't resist getting these photos out to show the newcomers what can be found at times.

These photos are from an old Train Depot that I found that was FULL of telephones - over 7,000 of them!

The last photo shows what 3 month's of work of moving/sorting/re-boxing will look like when you get all of those phones into a gymnasium!

Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

kleenax

Ever see what 1,500+ Princess transformers look like? Came from the same 2003 Train Depot find.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

DavePEI

Now, why don't I find hoards like that on PEI! No matter, I am still pleased with my finds the week of the 70 Mile Coastal Yard sale... Ray, you are a phone magnet :)
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

tell302man

Looks like 1970s phones. Was there any 302 or 202s in the batch? Where did they all come from

kleenax

Quote from: tell302man on October 18, 2012, 05:55:53 PM
Looks like 1970s phones. Was there any 302 or 202s in the batch? Where did they all come from
Most of the phones were 60s-70s-and some 80's. They came from an independent phone co that "hoarded" all phones that they took out of service. They also took other independents stuff when they could get it for little or nothing...for parts I guess. There were a few AE40's - no WE to speak of. Also 2 - NOS AE40 colored dial blanks: one in Blue and one in Red.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

AE_Collector

And boxes of AE40 carry handless wasn't there?

I also recall your pictures of SxS racks rusting out back.

Oh and quite a few 10 button AE Starlites?

Terry

tell302man

That is really cool! Would make me pass out with joy lol!

DavePEI

Who knows - there may yet be finds like this to be made yet. One can always hope. Never stop looking!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

kleenax

A few more photos.................
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

kleenax

Quote from: AE_collector on October 18, 2012, 07:30:54 PM
And boxes of AE40 carry handless wasn't there?

I also recall your pictures of SxS racks rusting out back.

Oh and quite a few 10 button AE Starlites?

Terry

Yea, and 3 banana boxes FULL of AE34 bakelite dial blanks! Must have been 300 of them! Also about that same amount of Kellogg dial blanks like that in a model 1000/Redbar. Alas, they found their way into one of the 3 20' dumpsters that I filled! :-(
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

AE_Collector

Where did the SxS racks go? Dumpster or scrap metal I would imagine. Looks like they were snowed on!

The AE34 blanks must not have been the type with a number card and retainer ring on them (or they wouldn't have been tossed).

Terry

kleenax

Quote from: AE_collector on October 18, 2012, 10:26:23 PM
Where did the SxS racks go? Dumpster or scrap metal I would imagine. Looks like they were snowed on!

The AE34 blanks must not have been the type with a number card and retainer ring on them (or they wouldn't have been tossed).

Terry
Oh yes! They DID indeed have a number card and card retainer (oh, and an acetate window too:). I sat on a stool in my basement workshop for about 4 solid hours and popped off every-single-one before I tossed all of those! I couldn't bare to trash all of those!!   :o

Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

AE_Collector

You are set for life then when it comes to missing number card rings on the older AE sets! I sure wish I could have made it to the sale you had. It was in conjunction with a TCI show wasn't it? Hard to believe that it is getting close to 10 years ago now.

Terry

dsk

:D At least it was some saved, here the telco loaded a ship, and dumped it in the sea just before deregulation  >:( >:( >:(
dsk

poplar1

These were from an independent phone company.

AT&T, on the other hand, scrapped most of the leased phones that were turned in.  (Customers also had the option of buying the phones they had been leasing). In the early 90s, AT&T was selling them to a company (Applied Components Inc.)  for 11 cents a pound. Most of these were sent to China as scrap. ACI did sort out and sell some phones and accessories in Telecom Gear magazine, though at first they were not allowed to sell to US customers any of the "Big Ten" sets (500, 554, 2500, 2554, Princess, Trimline). We were buying 302s for $20. (Some of the 302s had been in the same house for 50 years.)

Eventually, the last AT&T service center (which was in Atlanta) closed circa 1995 and after that time,  the returning lease phones were shipped to Mexico. The rebuilding of still leased phones also moved to Mexico.  Eventually, AT&T sold off its residential lease business to a private company.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.