News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg Carlson wiring help needed

Started by wds, February 22, 2018, 06:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I picked up this nice looking Stromberg, which was advertised as a 2 line phone.  After some testing I can't get it to function as a 2 line.  There are 6 wires on the line cord, the usual 3 go to L1 L2 Gnd.  The other three go to terminals marked as E1 E2 and 4 (Gnd?).  The switch by the key pad doesn't turn the ringer on or off, and I can't get the 2nd line to work.  Does anyone know what the switch is for?  Or the extra 3 wires?  I can't find a wiring diagram for this phone.
Dave

HarrySmith

The switch would be to change between line 1 and line 2.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Don't forget about the possibility of A & A1 leads when used on a 1A2 system. The switch wouldn't be anything to do with a 1A2 system though. Presumably the switch rotates 90 degrees but does it also push in as in maybe a button/buzzer circuit?

Terry

wds

No, the button doesn't push.  When the button points up Line 1 works, as well as the ringer.  When I turn the button 90 degress right, line 1 cuts out.  However, the ringer from Line 1 works no matter which direction the button is turned. 
Dave

paul-f

Quote from: wds on February 22, 2018, 06:34:46 PM
I picked up this nice looking Stromberg, which was advertised as a 2 line phone.  After some testing I can't get it to function as a 2 line.  There are 6 wires on the line cord, the usual 3 go to L1 L2 Gnd.  The other three go to terminals marked as E1 E2 and 4 (Gnd?).  The switch by the key pad doesn't turn the ringer on or off, and I can't get the 2nd line to work.  Does anyone know what the switch is for?  Or the extra 3 wires?  I can't find a wiring diagram for this phone.

What model number is stamped on the bottom of the phone?

This was probably a licensed model, so wiring diagrams for WE or ITT phones with the same model should help.

The switch can usually be wired for any of several functions, so you will need to trace the wiring to see which is wired.  Of course, it's also possible that a hobbyist has modified it for some purpose unknown to the manufacturer.

It's probably a model that starts with 251_ or 2575.

Pointers to some WE BSP numbers are here:

http://www.paul-f.com/we2500typ.html#2510

Diagrams from the ITT/Kellogg TIMM are in the TCI Library.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AE_Collector

You've tried all combinations of leads to feed line 2 in in? Logically I would have thought black yellow. It is probably normal that the Ringer stays with a particular line no matter where the switch is oriented.

Terry

wds

I will dig a little more today.  The phone looks like NOS and not tampered with.  I need to figure out what the numbering on the terminal boards stand for to solve the wiring issue.

red = 1
green = 2
yellow = 3
black = 4
white = E1
blue = E2
Dave

wds

It's not a two line phone - the extra connections appears to be for a loud speaker. 
Dave

AE_Collector

A transfer switch then. Does it switch the line from the handset to the E leads?

Terry

wds

I'm going to try to hook it up to a speaker and see what happens.
Dave

Babybearjs

I've seen this before.... 1A2 systems have a lot of options.... if it is for a spkr phones connection... then try that.... if not, then rewire it for a 2510. be sure to trace the connections against a schematic.... then you'll know for sure... If all else fails, you could wire the switch as a bell cut-off switch.... that way, it won't wake you up when it rings....
John

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

wds

no pull up plunger.  I have a 107B speaker, but no transformer to make it work.  I'm still digging through my stuff to find one.
Dave

poplar1

There are blue and white wires from E1 and E2 to the turn switch. On the switch, do those wires go to contacts that are separate from the contacts shown in the picture?

What happens if you connect dial tone to 3 and 4?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.