News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Finally, an adult sized lantern!

Started by AL_as_needed, July 08, 2017, 07:29:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AL_as_needed

Since catching the lantern bug....lanteritis... I have two little wizards and a comet. Now in my mind the little wizard was what I would call a "typical" lantern in terms of size etc. However, this assumption of mine was (as with most things) wrong. Little wizards are about 3/4 of the size of a dietz "full sized" lantern. The comet is absolutely tiny and about 3/4 small still....anyway.... after collecting the child sized lanterns, I wanted a nice full grown lantern!

Well it finally happened. A No2 Blizzard at that! The pictures provided left a lot to question, but hey I'm young and stupid  ::) so in a USPS box it came. Most anything we collect comes with a certain air of mystery... where were you? who owned you? how did that dent/scratch/burn/etc get there? This Blizzard had a story, and one it actually was quite eager to tell.

After serving faithfully as a light source in coastal Michigan, it was found by someone and reinstated  as a theater prop. Rust was hastily painted over and fake foam flames were stuffed in the burner (shoulda took a pic). For a time it was dropped, kicked, and waved about the stage until it was finally let go.

So here are some of the initial check out pictures from when it arrived and I washed the crud off. Yes that is gray paint, no its not the original. Seems the lantern rusted and was simply sprayed over, rust, some of the globe, and all. A quick lye bath removed further crud (lots of bugs!) and the cheapy paint job and revealed what molasses had cut out for it.

TWinbrook7

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I haven't caught lanteritis... maybe that's a good thing. I will admit I do have one. It was brothers and given to me by my sister in law after my brother had passed. Now, he did have a few hanging around their cottage. Maybe he had that bug and I didn't know about it. That was 15 years ago, who knows what happened to the rest of them. I'm sure when you get done with yours, it will be beauty. The one I have I know nothing about it, not even a brand name. Maybe I should take it down and have a closer look. Then again maybe not, I don't want that thing called lanteritis... :)

TelePlay

Not to hijack Al_as_need's topic, but just a quick "look here" for Duffy and the topic continues below:

Quote from: Duffy on July 08, 2017, 09:19:54 AM
The one I have I know nothing about it, not even a brand name. Maybe I should take it down and have a closer look. Then again maybe not, I don't want that thing called lanteritis... :)

Looks like a Dietz Blizzard made after WW-II (if that is factory red paint). If you hold the lantern with the fuel spout facing you, look at the right air tube near the top and see if you can see any stamping (patent #'s and made date). If so is is early 50's. If someone painted it red, it could be a tin plate pre WW-II. The top cap should be embossed Dietz. If this is a late 50s lantern, it may have been made in China, they move much of their plant there in the mid-50s and all of the lanterns were painted for years. If it was made in the US, it will be stamped New York USA on the fuel tank. But, if it works, hey, it's a great lantern.

Quote from: Duffy on July 08, 2017, 09:19:54 AM
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I haven't caught lanteritis... maybe that's a good thing.

If you don't have lanteritis yes, this may infect you. Totally black when found. Didn't know the chimney and tank were brass. Cleaned up very nicely to this. I have it sitting on a shelf with a few others that gets early morning sun shine and when the sun hits the brass and glass, it makes me smile, every time.

=============================

Nice find. That should turn out well.

Al_as_needed, did you get it to fully submerge in that pail. The HomeDepot pail I used was about a half inch short. I had the top cap off so only the stubs were sticking out of the water but on second thought, laying it sideways in a deep plastic storage pan might have been better.

Yes, lye based cleaners are good paint strippers and don't harm the metal. Also cleans the surface making it easy for Grandma to get to work.

Any dates stamped on the air tube?

twocvbloke

I'm sure we all have oil lamps, I keep my cheap chinese blue one hung up by the window, mostly for decoration as it's out-glowed by my Aladdins... :)

AL_as_needed

Quote from: TelePlay on July 08, 2017, 12:27:43 PM
Nice find. That should turn out well.

Al_as_needed, did you get it to fully submerge in that pail. The HomeDepot pail I used was about a half inch short. I had the top cap off so only the stubs were sticking out of the water but on second thought, laying it sideways in a deep plastic storage pan might have been better.

Yes, lye based cleaners are good paint strippers and don't harm the metal. Also cleans the surface making it easy for Grandma to get to work.

Any dates stamped on the air tube?

I quickly discovered that indeed the homer-bucket was a bit too short. So after much re-reading I did manage to "make it fit". The solution? Took the chimney (inner) apart/out as you had accidentally discovered. Was not easy to do on the first go around, but once it was out it made a lot of sense. Everything was placed into the bucket for the molasses treatment, and covered in the solution well enough.

Dates: 8-43 (?) ...or 3-48 (?) still some rust in the way to really tell clearly.
TWinbrook7

AL_as_needed

Quote from: twocvbloke on July 08, 2017, 12:37:09 PM
I'm sure we all have oil lamps, I keep my cheap chinese blue one hung up by the window, mostly for decoration as it's out-glowed by my Aladdins... :)

I wonder if lampitis and phoneitis have a common cause. Genetic? Transmittable through contact? Can only guess  ::)
TWinbrook7

TelePlay

Quote from: AL_as_needed on July 08, 2017, 06:42:21 PM
I wonder if lampitis and phoneitis have a common cause. Genetic? Transmittable through contact? Can only guess  ::)

Glad that chimney removal worked for you. Makes it easy to clean out the chimney as well. Cap off, chimney out, spring cleanable. As Woody told me, you learn by doing.

As for the "itis" issue, major cause is visual jealousy. . . .

twocvbloke

Quote from: AL_as_needed on July 08, 2017, 06:42:21 PM

It just means we like having nice stuff...  ;D

AL_as_needed

Quote from: twocvbloke on July 09, 2017, 04:09:40 AM
It just means we like having nice stuff...  ;D

Thinking about it, lanterns/oil lamps and rotary phones....both things that work flawlessly when the power goes out (well assuming a POTS line).... We must be old souls from pre electrification.                                                  Steam locomotives anyone?  :D
TWinbrook7

twocvbloke

Quote from: AL_as_needed on July 09, 2017, 08:13:25 AMWe must be old souls from pre electrification.                                                  Steam locomotives anyone?  :D

Something Fred Dibnah, a steam enthusiast and TV personality from Bolton (who passed away several years back), once said, "I were born in't wrong era!", which rings true, modern stuff, while often quite fascinating, just seems too much at times, whereas things made in a different era seem more "homely" than a little shiny handheld thing that seems to run peoples' lives today... :)

AL_as_needed

I can totally see that. Also with older things, there is a certain level of work and understanding required to keep it running in tip top shape. By fixing or maintaining things you really really learn them until they are almost part of yourself.

My friends always question my choice in vehicle (had a Volvo forever, she made it to 31, now have a "New" 28 year old Comanche). I always tell them anyone can go and get a new car, drive it everyday, and have no issues. It takes more thought, know how, and pride to keep a 20+ year old vehicle road trip ready. Not to mention the "unique" factor of having something that hasnt been in production for a long time.  ;)
TWinbrook7

You guy's just had to do it, didn't you. I have had that lantern hanging around for years and not even have a second thought on it. Now that I pulled that junk yard dog down, I see something different. It is an Dietz Junior with original paint and glass. This baby was Made In Hong Kong. I just learned something new today. I think I'm starting to get a fuzzy feeling..... :)

TelePlay

Sorry . . . .

That lantern would clean up very nicely with a couple of soaks in Molasses and light pressure cleaning with Brasso. Maybe even a thin coating of linseed oil to seal the surface. Just that, a new wick and some indoor fuel and you'd be good to go, to light it. You'd be the only one on your block to have one.

I've never seen one made in China. Good to know they stamp the bottom of the tanks saying so. Takes that question out of play when looking at a lantern. I usually never pick up a newer painted lantern in an antique mall but will have to do so to see that for myself.

Quote from: TelePlay on July 09, 2017, 04:20:35 PM
I've never seen one made in China. Good to know they stamp the bottom of the tanks saying so. Takes that question out of play when looking at a lantern. I usually never pick up a newer painted lantern in an antique mall but will have to do so to see that for myself.

So it was Made In Hong Kong before China took it back, what would that date it at?

twocvbloke

Quote from: Duffy on July 09, 2017, 04:41:24 PM
So it was Made In Hong Kong before China took it back, what would that date it at?

Before 1st July, 1997, but that doesn't really narrow it down though... ;D