News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Confused ... straight line vs bias ringer

Started by xtal_01, January 19, 2018, 03:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Looking through yet another Kellogg Catalog, I found these two parts images of Kellogg straight line ringers.

Note, one has a spring between the pivot plate and the clapper plate and the other does not (red boxes). Or maybe the spring pushes on the bottom of the one coil. Hadn't seen this before and since most people don't take Kellogg ringers like this apart, thought I'd add this to the database of useless information . . . ;)

If this is the way they bias their ringers, then there is no way to adjust the tension short of taking the ringer apart and replacing the existing sprint with a harder or softer version.

dsk

Here in Norway tuned ringers were never used, most phones had bias springs from 1934, before that it was maybe 50% without.
My Redbar has a bias spring, and when you look at the photo, the ringers movable part is kinda hinged, and not on a spring as all tuned ringers I have seen has. 

dsk

TelePlay

I should have posted this frequency ringer exploded for comparison to the straight line ringers.

Note the Blue Box does not contain the pivot plates in the above straight line ringers. Nothing pivots in a frequency ringer. The metal reed attached to the clapper wire flexes at certain frequencies.

xtal_01

Man, I thought this was going to be a simple question when I started,

I found a picture last night of a ringer marked 120 BA.  Clearly I can see the adjustable bias screw.

I want to see (find somewhere) a picture of a ringer marked 123 SA ( or SB or SC ).

I still don't see (and maybe I am missing it) if there is any type of bias spring (just not an adjustable one as on the bias ... BA, BB & BC .... rings) or is there is no type of bias at all on the straight rings (SA, SB & SC).

Is the parts pictures posted above from a Kellogg 1000?  I don't see the spring on the picture of the bias rings I am looking at.  Might be hiding between the coils but the spring on the bias rings look more like wire or leaf spring.

I truly appreciate all the help and explanations!

Mike

TelePlay

The parts list were for Kellogg ringers.

The attached is how they were ordered.

Unfortunately, documents are limited to what was or has been found and posted. I have not found a link between the type 7x ringers and the Bx, Hx and Sx ringers on the following chart. Others may know. Kellogg phones just don't get the same level of examination and posts that WE items do.

TelePlay

The 7x ringers are for external gong enclosures, the 12x ringers are for within the housing use.

This pdf file of pages 283 to 286 from this Kellogg Catalog shows the difference, the frame difference, but I suspect the working pivot and harmonic parts of the ringers are the same.

You can find a lot of information about Kellogg phones at this site:

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/strombergcarlson/kellogg/kellogg_main.htm

xtal_01

OK, so I got my phone in today .... looks awesome!

Now, I pulled out the ringer .... 123 SB

This is a straight line medium impedance ringer.

Sure enough ... no bias at all.  The clapper literally is free, thus the complaints about "false ringing" or "tingle".

So, I did find a 120 BA ringer .... $20

This ringer does  have a bias.  I just wanted to know if anyone has tried this ringer (120 BA) just to be sure it will work on a modern phone system?

Thanks again .... Mike

HarrySmith

It will work on any POTS line. (Plain Old Telphone Service)
You can try the ringer it came with, it should work the same.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

andre_janew

I've never been able to get a ringer with a frequency of 30 hertz or greater to work on a modern POTS line!

xtal_01

I did give it a try ... it rang! 

I would actually leave it ... I don't mind it if "tingles" once in a while.

What I am concerned with is the impedance.

I am planning to have a couple of rotary phones on the line at one time.  I just put new cords on my NE 500 C/D and cleaned up the dial (was sticking a bit).

Since I get my phone over the internet, I am a bit worried the modem will not have enough power to ring several phones.  It is my understanding that the high impedance ringers ( the ones with "a" as the second letter) draw the least power.

My Dial Gizmo just landed in NY (got the alert) so this should take care of the pulse to tone dialing issue.

Thanks again ..... Mike

Jim Stettler

Quote from: xtal_01 on January 22, 2018, 06:28:28 PM

I was told that swapping the red and green leads on the line cord sometimes helps with "tingle". I have never tried it.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

dsk

Quote from: xtal_01 on January 22, 2018, 06:28:28 PM

What I am concerned with is the impedance.

I am planning to have a couple of rotary phones on the line at one time.  I just put new cords on my NE 500 C/D and cleaned up the dial (was sticking a bit).

Since I get my phone over the internet, I am a bit worried the modem will not have enough power to ring several phones.  It is my understanding that the high impedance ringers ( the ones with "a" as the second letter) draw the least power.

My Dial Gizmo just landed in NY (got the alert) so this should take care of the pulse to tone dialing issue.

Thanks again ..... Mike

Many ringers on a ATA may be a problem so a Pansaonic KXT 308 or 616 may be an option.  If the ringer lacks the bias spring, a spring from a pen may often do the job.  To reduce the REN load an extra suitable capacitor in series may help.  With more than 1 ringer on the line, equal loads works best. I would not changed the ringer.

dsk