News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lucky find - my French Ivory's cousin!

Started by FABphones, March 30, 2018, 05:07:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

After seeing LarryInMichigan's nice photo of his French phones in Ivory and Black I thought I'd make an effort to find myself one in black as well, to sit alongside my Ivory phone.

I didn't hold out any hope of finding one this fast, but amazingly, hidden in a box behind the counter of (another) French Depot Vente I spotted this little gem. All I could see was an unattached cord and a hint of black.

The shop owner wanted 40e for it (too expensive!) so I had to barter him down. His assistant kept telling me 'but it's Bakelilte' (I should add, thank goodness I speak French), but I managed to get it for 19e.

Back home, I had to fix the Mother in Laws earpiece cord back on, which was actually in good condition and give it a teeny bit of a clean up but it works a treat. No ringer in this one though so it was probably intended for a bedroom.

I was too excited at the time to even look underneath, but was pleased to discover it is dated 1954 and makes for a nice comparison next to my later 1962 Ivory model:

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

LarryInMichigan

Nice find.  Now you have a matched set :)

The black U43s are far more common than the ivory ones, and they frequently appear for sale online.  €19 is not a bad price for one.  €40 would be too high.  I managed to get lucky and find both black and ivory versions for cheap from ebay sellers in the USA.

Larry

Doug Rose

Beautiful phones, they make a real nice display sitting side by side....Doug
Kidphone