News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Really? What’s going on here? A "Gold Plated" WE 500 Housing, balck accents on eBay

Started by Pourme, April 10, 2018, 10:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

~

I'm not the most knowledgeable on WE desksets but I don't remember this as being a rare, prized and desirable piece. Unless I'm mistaken someone is asking $600.00 for a $30.00 WE500 and a can of spray paint....with dings.

If I missed something please don't hesitate to school me...Ha! It won't be the first time!

www.ebay.com/itm/202284820553
( dead link 01-21-22 )
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

WEBellSystemChristian

It doesn't look like a rattlecan job to me...definitely a factory housing. Rattlecan "gold" and "silver" paints are just Metallic flake paints. This is a true plating. I would guess it came off an otherwise junk gold retirement-edition 500, so it came off and was mated to a former all-black 500 by a collector.

There is a possibility that it was plated in the hands of a collector, but other than the swapped parts, I don't see much evidence of that.

Either way, NOT worth $600. Maybe $50-75.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Pourme

Thanks for talking me down, Christian.......I was about to go to my local Tru Value and stock up on gold spray paint....

;)
Benny

Key2871

Wasn't the handset, dial, and cords white when they did those sets?
So it is most likely the plastics were faded, or broken, so they took a black set and put the plaited she'll on the base.
Did anyone see the modular plug on the base cord?
Obviously not original.
KEN

Pourme

Did W.E. actually produce a gold look 500 set? Say something similar to what they did to the 202 Imperial?
Benny

rdelius

The finish on my gold 500 set  appears to be the same  or similar process as my 202 set. I also have a 302 with the same gold finish but is is crazed

19and41

It wouldn't be too hard to do a few shells if one could get the use of a vacuum deposition chamber.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Key2871 on April 11, 2018, 09:46:51 AM
Wasn't the handset, dial, and cords white when they did those sets?
So it is most likely the plastics were faded, or broken, so they took a black set and put the plaited she'll on the base.
Did anyone see the modular plug on the base cord?
Obviously not original.
Some were,  some weren't. I would be slow to say not original..
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Pourme on April 11, 2018, 12:41:58 PM
Did W.E. actually produce a gold look 500 set? Say something similar to what they did to the 202 Imperial?
Yes, they did 500's and princess phones, as well as trimlines. I think the princess phones are the most common and the trimlines least common .
Just my opinion tho,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Quote from: rdelius on April 11, 2018, 12:55:58 PM
The finish on my gold 500 set  appears to be the same  or similar process as my 202 set. I also have a 302 with the same gold finish but is is crazed
Sounds like they did 300's as well.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

I think they did many more gold sets than silver. They did some silver sets tho.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

Pourme

~

Is there WE brochure material to support this? When they did Imperials they had a promotion and a special name for them. I have never heard of this. Not that I'm as educated as some here. I have only been collecting for a few years but have been reading about the industry a great deal.

Inquiring minds want to know.
Benny

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Pourme on April 11, 2018, 08:30:06 PM
~

Is there WE brochure material to support this? When they did Imperials they had a promotion and a special name for them. I have never heard of this. Not that I'm as educated as some here. I have only been collecting for a few years but have been reading about the industry a great deal.

Inquiring minds want to know.

I have never seen any supporting documentation, however I have never looked . I chase non-standard finishes, which by my definition are clear, swirled, shiny and other non-standard examples. I have seen very many shiny sets over the years.

The imperial  202 sets were a marketed phone. the intent was to create demand for  outdated sets.
The other  shiny phones seem to be more of a limited edition set.

The above statements are based on my opinions and observations.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

Pourme

This is very interesting....I learn something everyday on this forum!

Thanks Jim S !
Benny

Jim Stettler

see this topic for a little more info:
I will get some photos of the kit and the sc 500
You live, You learn,