News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

General Electric / Telechron 1L1215 15" Glass Illuminated Wall Clock Photos

Started by cornell9, April 22, 2018, 04:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cornell9

I completed restoration of a General Electric / Telechron 1L1215 15-inch glass illuminated metal case wall clock from early 1941. Clock was stripped, de-rusted and repainted; all electronics and wiring save the field coil were replaced (two layers of 3M 27 glass cloth tape, two 5-watt corn type LEDs, new working pull switch, RF-controlled wireless light switch kit to power on and off the LEDs as an alternative to the pull switch, dried out/crumbling rubber gasket replaced with new foam, B2 rotor replaced, original parts saved for sake of completion). This one is definitely a keeper!

Any idea how many of these clocks were produced? I've only seen a few example photos of this clock (though I've seen more of similar clocks like the 1L715 Telechron model).

jsowers

There was a clock similar to that in my first barbershop when I was a kid, but I think it was the unlighted Telechron version. It was a huge clock seen through the eyes of a little kid, and it worked fine. This was about 1966 or 67. The shot of yours lit is really nice. What kind of illumination did it originally have? Incandescent candleabra-base lamps? I don't ever remember seeing a lighted one before.

I also like your Pickwick paneling. That's what my dad called it. He was in the home construction industry from 1950-1974 and the entire kitchen, dining and den area in my parents' house was done in that paneling.
Jonathan

LarryInMichigan

That clock looks great.  I have a number of Telechron/GE commercial clocks, but no illuminated models.  I don't believe that they are common.  I would suggest posting about this clock on the Telechron collectors' forum: http://telechron.net/forager/index.php.  The members there would appreciate seeing it and might have some more information about the model.

Larry

AL_as_needed

Excellent work on the restoration, looks fantastic light up. I only hope that seeing more of this era of time keeping devices doesn't start me on a new collecting addiction.
TWinbrook7

cornell9

Thanks for the kind words. 

The clock was originally illuminated with two 25 watt incandescent E26 bulbs.

I tried registering for that other forum a couple weeks back but received no reply from their moderation team.

19and41

Keep checking your spam box.  Sometimes mail from them is a problem.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke