News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 233G 1963 - vault lock type?

Started by shortrackskater, May 14, 2018, 12:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shortrackskater

I just bought a 1963 WE233G a week ago. I'll post more later but my question is:
What lock would have been in the vault door? 30-C? 30-B? The "C" key entry protrudes out more than the B, but I really see no difference. And then I see a "A" also.
Mark J.

kleenax

I would say a 30B or C, but I'm not an expert. Seems that I saw mention of the "type 30" vault door lock in some BSPs, but not certain.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

shortrackskater

Hmmmm... well the "C" protrudes while the "B" does not. Still I'm sure both work but wondering if the protruding one has a better fit when unlocking the vault? Trivial, I know.
Mark J.

kleenax

Quote from: shortrackskater on May 14, 2018, 06:54:15 PM
Hmmmm... well the "C" protrudes while the "B" does not. Still I'm sure both work but wondering if the protruding one has a better fit when unlocking the vault? Trivial, I know.
The "C" will fill out the vault door lock hole a little better, and it does look better, I think. I used to have some little spacer/washer  things that fit around the 30C protrusion to better fill out the hole, but you just don't see them much anymore. I seem to remember that they were of Northern Electric lineage.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

shortrackskater

I have a 30C on the way. Thank you.
Mark J.

Ktownphoneco

The vault door washer is standard parts item for both Bell Canada and AT&T.     The washer or plug has the same part number - P-20F653 in both the Bell Canada BSP (506-110-103CA) and the AT&T
BSP (506-110-103).     It's use is described in both the Canadian and American Coin Collector Service Manuals to : "discourage the use of a door puller".

Two pages from the Bell Canada Coin Service Manual - 1971 are pictured below in jpeg.     Click twice to enlarge.   Enjoy the rest of the day !

Jeff Lamb

shortrackskater

Thanks for that information and the pictures Jeff. Sorry for the long delay here.
I had some tramatic events happen over the last few months, starting with my mom passing away right after I posted my last reply.
It's been very tough but I'm moving forward and trying to get involved in my hobbies again including this phone, that now just needs a 685a subset. I've seen one on eBay. It's priced fairly, but out of my budget right now. I think it's one of our members selling it as well.

I did get the vault door and lock. I cleaned up the phone best as I could. I'll post a photo soon.
Mark J.

HarrySmith

Sorry to hear about your loss.
Welcome back!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

shortrackskater

Again, sorry for my long delays! Just life trudging on...
Here's the cleaned up phone. Most of this time I've been just on and off eBay looking for a subset, cheaper than the one at $69 which is probably a fair price. It might be one of our members here?
Anyway another 685a subset had just popped up with a bid or make offer. I offered $20 and he accepted. Hope the Northern Electric will work on a WE though! I'm fairly sure it does.
Mark J.

oldguy

Gary

shortrackskater

Thanks!
I just have to wait for the subset now and hook it all up. I actually still need a replacement handset... this one has a big crack in it. I think I'll just have to break the bottom to get the armored cord out though.
Mark J.

shortrackskater

Just an update. I finally got subset wired for my coin controller. Actually two wires - one to the controller and one direct to the line so the incredibly LOUD ringer will ring. I may install a switch in it eventually.
I replaced the broken handset, cleaned the armored cord and printed a top sign on card stock paper. I used part of a clear report cover for the front although I'd rather find something heavier that will slide in to cover it.
The relay got the help it needed and now the phone works great! Now to find the center cover and backing plate.
Here's a before and after picture showing my amateur pseudo-restoration.
Mark J.

RB